EUIPO building - case study
The EUIPO (European Union Intellectual Property Office) is a decentralised agency of the European Union, which manages the registration of the European Union trademark (EUTM) and the Registered Community Design (RCD).
The building obtained an ‘Exceptional’ ranking from BREEAM, the highest possible classification, which only 2% of all evaluated buildings achieve. It is in the process of obtaining the same classification for the post-construction phase.
The building is approximately 14,000 sq. m, and when compared with a traditionally constructed building of the same size, the design allows for a 71% reduction in CO2 emissions and a 67% reduction in energy.
The new AA3 Project benefits from the lessons learned during the BREEAM certification process of the AA2 building in 2015, and also from the 'In-Use' Certification of the AA1 building, which is currently in process.
Key features of the design include:
- Reduction in water consumption of 496.7 m3/year.
- Recycling or recovery of more than 95% of construction and demolition waste generated during the construction phase.
- Monitoring energy consumption with sub-meters in the main and secondary distribution boards, and by integrating them in the BMS system.
- Installation of energy-efficient equipment.
- Installation of lifts with an energy recovery system using a regenerative drive, that saves energy and feeds it back into the network with a positive charge.
- Monitoring water consumption via the BMS system.
- Re-use of greywater.
- Use of rainwater collected in storm tanks for watering plants.
- Implementation of low CO2 emissions technology.
- Maximum use of natural daylight.
- Use of cladding materials with low or ‘zero’ formaldehyde and VOC emissions.
- Use of environmentally-sustainable materials that have an Environmental Product Declaration (EPD).
- Use of recycled aggregates.
- Improvement of the biological quality of the site, with the creation of habitats with native plants that favour biodiversity.
- A strategy for eliminating existing invasive plants.
- The use of cooling gases with low CO2 emissions and installation of a leak-detecting system.
- Electricity supply obtained from renewable sources with zero emissions.
- A geothermal facility to cover heating and cooling needs.
- Installation of an adjustable outdoor lighting system to reduce night-time light pollution.
- Charging stations for electric vehicles, reserved car share parking spaces, and parking spaces for bicycles.
- Appointment of a commissioning manager.
- For the first three years of occupation, information will be compiled on occupant satisfaction, water and energy consumption, to check whether the building's performance meets the expected standards.
- Client: European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO)
- Architect: Carlos Rubio Carvajal, RUBIO Arquitectura
- BREEAM Assessor: Mercedes Cecilia García Ruiz, Servicios Ambientales Integrales del Norte, S.L.
- Contractor: FCC Construcción, S.A.
- Engineering: TYPSA
- Project Management Assistance: IDOM
- Site Supervision Team: GRUPOTEC
- Health and Safety Coordinator: PREMEA
- Quality control: TÜV ATISAE
- BREEAM Rating: Outstanding (Design Stage)
- Score: 90.85%
- Size: 13,993 m2
- BREEAM Version: BREEAM ES New Construction 2015
- Gross rentable area: 4,067.5 m2
- Plot surface : 14,032 m2
- Number of floors: Two below ground level and four above ground level
Images and content courtesy of EUIPO.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Issue support documents
|These are Multiple Author Articles - click on them and add to them today. It's easy.|
You can also add to General Multiple Author Articles here.
Issue support documents are written for named BREEAM Issues or sub-issues. More info. (ac) = awaiting content.
|Thanks to our Knowledge Sharing Ambassadors for a lot of this content|
- BREEAM Sustainability champion
- BREEAM Environmental management
- BREEAM Considerate construction
- BREEAM Monitoring of construction site impacts
- BREEAM Aftercare support
- BREEAM Seasonal commissioning
- BREEAM Testing and inspecting building fabric
- BREEAM Life cycle cost and service life planning
- BREEAM Stakeholder consultation (ac)
- BREEAM Commissioning (ac)
- BREEAM Handover (ac)
- BREEAM Inclusive and accessible design (ac)
- BREEAM Post occupancy evaluation
 Health and Wellbeing
- BREEAM Visual comfort Daylighting (partly ac)
- BREEAM Visual comfort View out
- BREEAM Visual comfort Glare control
- BREEAM Indoor air quality plan
- BREEAM Indoor air quality Ventilation
- BREEAM Thermal comfort
- BREEAM Internal and external lighting (ac)
- BREEAM Indoor pollutants VOCs (ac)
- BREEAM Potential for natural ventilation (ac)
- BREEAM Safe containment in laboratories (ac)
- BREEAM Acoustic performance
- BREEAM Safety and security (ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of energy use and carbon emissions
- BREEAM Energy monitoring
- BREEAM External lighting
- BREEAM Low carbon design
- BREEAM Passive design
- BREEAM Free cooling
- BREEAM LZC technologies
- BREEAM Energy efficient cold storage (partly ac)
- BREEAM Energy efficient transportation systems
- BREEAM Energy efficient laboratory systems
- BREEAM Energy efficient equipment (partly ac)
- BREEAM Drying space
- BREEAM Transport assessment and travel plan
- BREEAM Public transport accessibility
- BREEAM Sustainable transport measures
- BREEAM Proximity to amenities
- BREEAM Cyclist facilities
- BREEAM Alternative modes of transport (ac)
- BREEAM Maximum car parking capacity
- BREEAM Travel plan
- BREEAM Home office (ac)
- BREEAM Water consumption
- BREEAM Water efficient equipment
- BREEAM Water monitoring
- BREEAM Water leak detection (ac)
- BREEAM Hard landscaping and boundary protection
- BREEAM Responsible sourcing of materials
- BREEAM Insulation
- BREEAM Designing for durability and resilience
- BREEAM Life cycle impacts
- BREEAM Material efficiency (ac)
- BREEAM Construction waste management
- BREEAM Recycled aggregates
- BREEAM Speculative floor & ceiling finishes
- BREEAM Adaptation to climate change
- BREEAM Operational waste
- BREEAM Functional adaptability (ac)
 Land Use and Ecology
- BREEAM Site Selection
- BREEAM Ecological value of site
- BREEAM Protection of ecological features
- BREEAM Minimising impact on existing site ecology
- BREEAM Enhancing site ecology
- BREEAM Long term impact on biodiversity (ac)
- BREEAM Impact of refrigerants
- BREEAM NOx emissions
- BREEAM Flood risk management (ac)
- BREEAM Surface water run-off (ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of night time light pollution (partly ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of noise pollution
Once an ISD has been initially created the '(ac)' marker can be removed
This particular index is based around the structure of the New Construction and RFO schemes.