- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 09 Feb 2021
Delivering waste efficiency in commercial buildings: A guide for facilities managers
Delivering waste efficiency in commercial buildings: A guide for facilities managers (IP 12/14) was written by Stuart Blofeld and published by BRE on 18 November 2014.
This information paper is part of a series of BRE publications providing guidance for facilities managers, maintenance contractors and building owners about the operation and management of commercial buildings. It provides guidance about how to implement an integrated waste management strategy through improved facilities management and is targeted at facilities managers who are responsible for organising waste management services.
The provision of waste management services in commercial buildings can be varied, with many different operating models dependent on the contractual arrangements in place between the building owner, facilities management company, tenants and waste management contractors.
- Compliance with existing waste legislation.
- Pressure to reduce building management costs and increase profitability.
- Implementation of company environmental management systems that require better reporting of waste management.
- Client corporate social responsibility to reduce waste and divert waste from landfill.
This information paper provides an overview of the waste hierarchy and UK waste legislation and examines techniques for understanding the causes of waste and the actions that can be taken to prevent waste. It also provides guidance about benchmarking performance, setting targets, the importance of user engagement and key issues when contracting waste management services.
Its contents are:
- UK legislation and the waste hierarchy.
- Gaining an overview.
- Frequency of waste collection.
- Developing a waste prevention plan.
- Benchmarking your waste performance.
- Developing a waste management performance specification.
 Find out more.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Buzz articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Buzz.
- BREEAM Construction waste management.
- BREEAM Operational waste.
- BREEAM Recycled aggregates.
- Construction waste.
- Definition of waste: Code of practice.
- Materials Management Plan (MMP).
- Site waste management plan.
- Waste management plan for England.
Featured articles and news
Fropm practice to research and the business of materials.
Arts & Crafts to all the bios, environmental design to topophilia.
Alteration to Demolition and everything in between.
And CIOB's response.
Presidential update from CIAT's Eddie Weir PCIAT.
Rates freeze, NI cuts, full expensing; early election?
Could this be a remedy for condensation, damp or mould?
Unlocking a Healthier Tomorrow
Call for ministerial group and National Retrofit Delivery Plan.
The Great Transformation 1860–1920. Book review.
Including the devolved governments, CIOB, ECA, APM and IHBC.
AT awards small to medium size project category winner.
Formal and informal adaptive re-use or new use of buildings.
Temperatures hit new highs, yet world fails to cut emissions (again).
No longer enforcing certain waste transfer documentation.
Winners reactions during the event at the Park Plaza Hotel.
An exciting opportunity for stakeholders to collaborate.
Report from the BSRIA Briefing 2023, Cleaner Air, Better Tomorrow.