- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 17 Oct 2019
Definition of waste: Code of practice
The Definition of Waste: Code of practice (DoW:CoP) was launched in September 2008 by the independent research group Contaminated Land: Applications in Real Environments (CL:AIRE). It is used to support and enhance the sustainability and cost-efficiency of land remediation and development projects.
It has been used to provide a consistent and efficient process for the reuse of excavated materials, such as the direct transfer of clean, naturally-occurring soil materials between sites. It also relates to the conditions required to support fixed soil treatment facilities, and the reuse of both contaminated and uncontaminated materials.
- Ensure an adequate Materials Management Plan (MMP) is in place.
- Ensure the MMP is based on an appropriate risk assessment.
- Ensure materials are treated and used as set out in the MMP (as demonstrated in a subsequent Verification Report).
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BREEAM Construction waste management.
- BREEAM Operational waste.
- Construction skip.
- Construction waste.
- Contaminated land.
- Deleterious materials.
- Delivering waste efficiency in commercial buildings: A guide for facilities managers.
- Environmental plan.
- Environmental Protection Act.
- Getting a skip hire permit.
- Hazardous substances.
- Hazardous waste.
- Materials Management Plan (MMP).
- Our waste, our resources: a strategy for England.
- Recyclable construction materials.
- Site waste management plan.
- Site Waste Management Plans - A Necessary Burden.
- Waste and Resources Action Programme WRAP.
Featured articles and news
BSRIA examines factors driving the industry.
Ensuring designs are developed, validated and can be effectively implemented.
The Homebuyer Survey most suitable for newer homes or simple properties.
Health and safety practices for body and mind.
28 leading bodies set out their vision for the future.
Chancellor announces latest Winter Support packages.
Tapping technology to boost infrastructure and create jobs.
4 ways to ensure certificates are valid.
White elephant construction projects.
How Paul Williams bent over backwards to overcome racial barriers.
Organisation revises actions around dealing with COVID-19.
CIOB, NFCC, RIBA, RICS call for changes ahead of Building Safety Bill.
Developments in the Future Homes Standard.
An American chimney feature with a colourful past.