- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 25 Jun 2021
Definition of waste: Code of practice
The Definition of Waste: Code of practice (DoW:CoP) was launched in September 2008 by the independent research group Contaminated Land: Applications in Real Environments (CL:AIRE). It is used to support and enhance the sustainability and cost-efficiency of land remediation and development projects.
It has been used to provide a consistent and efficient process for the reuse of excavated materials, such as the direct transfer of clean, naturally-occurring soil materials between sites. It also relates to the conditions required to support fixed soil treatment facilities, and the reuse of both contaminated and uncontaminated materials.
- Ensure an adequate Materials Management Plan (MMP) is in place.
- Ensure the MMP is based on an appropriate risk assessment.
- Ensure materials are treated and used as set out in the MMP (as demonstrated in a subsequent Verification Report).
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BREEAM Construction waste management.
- BREEAM Operational waste.
- Construction skip.
- Construction waste.
- Contaminated land.
- Deleterious materials.
- Delivering waste efficiency in commercial buildings: A guide for facilities managers.
- Environmental plan.
- Environmental Protection Act.
- Getting a skip hire permit.
- Hazardous substances.
- Hazardous waste.
- Hire, reclaim and reuse scheme combats construction waste.
- Materials Management Plan (MMP).
- Our waste, our resources: a strategy for England.
- Recyclable construction materials.
- Site waste management plan.
- Site Waste Management Plans - A Necessary Burden.
- Waste and Resources Action Programme WRAP.
Featured articles and news
An architectural biography. Book review.
The house where the future king of France lived.
The teacher, architectural technologist and mum offers her insights.
Careful planning needed as supply chain issues continue.
The sensitive conversion of a neglected Cornwall structure.
Plan stresses local involvement in city, town and village development.
Environment Agency publishes BAT guidance.
CLC guidance outlines carbon reduction priorities.
Making the most of a staycation.
Organisation urges G20 to revisit wind energy.
The historian spent much of his life compiling architectural resources.
How technology can expose efficiency levels in existing buildings.