- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 26 Oct 2020
Environmental Protection Act
The Environmental Protection Act 1990 is an Act of Parliament that implements the European Union Waste Framework Directive in England, Wales and Scotland. It defines the structure and authority for waste management and the control of emissions and strengthens controls and enforcement, with stricter penalties.
Prior to the implementation of the Act, separate environmental regulations had been in place for air, water and land pollution. The 1990 Act introduced an integrated scheme to achieve the ‘best practicable environmental options’ as well as providing a public right of access to information.
- Part I: Establishes the regulations for setting the limits on emissions (as of 1996, this has been the responsibility of the Environment Agency and the Scottish Environment Protection Agency).
- Part II: Sets out regulations regarding the controlled disposal of household, industrial and commercial waste on land, and places a duty on local authorities to collect, treat and dispose of waste.
- Part III: Defines a class of statutory nuisances for which local authorities can require remedial action.
- Part IV: Defines criminal offences concerning litter.
- Part V: Amends the Radioactive Substances Act 1960 (repealed by the Radioactive Substances Act 1993).
- Part VI: Defines statutory notification and risk assessment procedures relating to genetically modified organisms (GMOs).
- Part VII: Establishes new organisations – the Nature Conservancy Council for England, the Nature Conservancy Council for Scotland, and the Countryside Council for Wales.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Clean Air Act.
- Climate Change Act.
- Construction waste.
- Contaminated land.
- Definition of waste: Code of practice.
- Energy Act.
- Environment Bill 2020.
- Environmental Bill.
- Environmental legislation for building design and construction.
- Landfill tax.
- Our waste, our resources: a strategy for England.
- Planning legislation.
- Site waste management plan.
- Waste and Resources Action Programme WRAP.
- Wildlife and Countryside Act.
Featured articles and news
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targetted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.
How has transport changed due to Covid-19 ?
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?
Create an account and write the first of many articles.
CIAT commentary after the first meeting.
Who is to blame?
Research recommends focussing on portfolio success rather than project success.
The revised standard for mapping underground utilities.
Cross-industry steering group seeks support in delivery.
Help us update process pieces from your field.
APM report explores existing practice.
COVID-19 and the importance of mental wellbeing.
As Professionally Qualified Person (PQP).
In order of relevance and with industry responses.
Raising awareness of the impacts of loneliness.
The list is growing, and in more ways than one.
We shouldn’t build new, If we can’t maintain what's built.
Timber Accelerator Hub phase 1 report