BREEAM International New Construction Version 6
BREEAM International New Construction Version 6 (INC V6) is a performance based assessment method and certification programme for new buildings. On 1 December 2021, INC V6 was introduced. The application process for INC V6 opened on the same date. In conjunction with the announcement, an updated manual for the standard was published.
The standard helps future-proof new building developments, including the local, natural or human-made environment surrounding buildings. It is intended for use with most types of new buildings, including new homes and new-build extensions to existing buildings.
Organisations that register for INC V6 can use the standard to measure and evaluate the performance of new buildings against best practice in an independent and robust manner. This is achieved through integration and use of INC V6 by clients and their project teams at key stages in the design and construction process.
 Summary of changes
- Greater support to projects on the road to net zero carbon.
- Alignment of energy outputs with EU taxonomy classification criteria.
- Recognition and encouragement of operational energy modelling.
- Updated energy performance benchmarks.
- Greater convergence with other BREEAM schemes.
 Environmental targets more important than ever
|Health and wellbeing|
|Land use and ecology|
 Transition period from 2016 to V6
BREEAM acknowledges the importance of transition time between opening INC V6 registrations on 1 December 2021 and closing the 2016 version of the programme. Therefore, registration for the previous version remained open until 14 January 2022. After this date, the only version for new registrations is INC V6.
As with any new version that is released, it will be possible to move an existing registration forward to a newer version (or newer issue of a manual), but it will not be possible to move a registration back to an earlier version.
- BREEAM and CEEQUAL.
- BREEAM In-Use Version 6 environmental standard launched by BRE.
- BREEAM Life cycle impacts
- BREEAM UK New Construction (NC) 2018.
- Life cycle assessment.
Issue support documents
|These are Multiple Author Articles - click on them and add to them today. It's easy.|
You can also add to General Multiple Author Articles here.
Issue support documents are written for named BREEAM Issues or sub-issues. More info. (ac) = awaiting content.
|Thanks to our Knowledge Sharing Ambassadors for a lot of this content|
- BREEAM Sustainability champion
- BREEAM Environmental management
- BREEAM Considerate construction
- BREEAM Monitoring of construction site impacts
- BREEAM Aftercare support
- BREEAM Seasonal commissioning
- BREEAM Testing and inspecting building fabric
- BREEAM Life cycle cost and service life planning
- BREEAM Stakeholder consultation (ac)
- BREEAM Commissioning (ac)
- BREEAM Handover (ac)
- BREEAM Inclusive and accessible design (ac)
- BREEAM Post occupancy evaluation
 Health and Wellbeing
- BREEAM Visual comfort Daylighting (partly ac)
- BREEAM Visual comfort View out
- BREEAM Visual comfort Glare control
- BREEAM Indoor air quality plan
- BREEAM Indoor air quality Ventilation
- BREEAM Thermal comfort
- BREEAM Internal and external lighting (ac)
- BREEAM Indoor pollutants VOCs (ac)
- BREEAM Potential for natural ventilation (ac)
- BREEAM Safe containment in laboratories (ac)
- BREEAM Acoustic performance
- BREEAM Safety and security (ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of energy use and carbon emissions
- BREEAM Energy monitoring
- BREEAM External lighting
- BREEAM Low carbon design
- BREEAM Passive design
- BREEAM Free cooling
- BREEAM LZC technologies
- BREEAM Energy efficient cold storage (partly ac)
- BREEAM Energy efficient transportation systems
- BREEAM Energy efficient laboratory systems
- BREEAM Energy efficient equipment (partly ac)
- BREEAM Drying space
- BREEAM Transport assessment and travel plan
- BREEAM Public transport accessibility
- BREEAM Sustainable transport measures
- BREEAM Proximity to amenities
- BREEAM Cyclist facilities
- BREEAM Alternative modes of transport (ac)
- BREEAM Maximum car parking capacity
- BREEAM Travel plan
- BREEAM Home office (ac)
- BREEAM Water consumption
- BREEAM Water efficient equipment
- BREEAM Water monitoring
- BREEAM Water leak detection (ac)
- BREEAM Hard landscaping and boundary protection
- BREEAM Responsible sourcing of materials
- BREEAM Insulation
- BREEAM Designing for durability and resilience
- BREEAM Life cycle impacts
- BREEAM Material efficiency (ac)
- BREEAM Construction waste management
- BREEAM Recycled aggregates
- BREEAM Speculative floor & ceiling finishes
- BREEAM Adaptation to climate change
- BREEAM Operational waste
- BREEAM Functional adaptability (ac)
 Land Use and Ecology
- BREEAM Site Selection
- BREEAM Ecological value of site
- BREEAM Protection of ecological features
- BREEAM Minimising impact on existing site ecology
- BREEAM Enhancing site ecology
- BREEAM Long term impact on biodiversity (ac)
- BREEAM Impact of refrigerants
- BREEAM NOx emissions
- BREEAM Flood risk management (ac)
- BREEAM Surface water run-off (ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of night time light pollution (partly ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of noise pollution
Once an ISD has been initially created the '(ac)' marker can be removed
This particular index is based around the structure of the New Construction and RFO schemes.