BREEAM In-Use Version 6 environmental standard launched by BRE
BREEAM In-Use Version 6 comes with a host of new and improved features that build upon BREEAM’s industry leading standards for driving environmental performance and occupant health and wellbeing with added emphasis on resilience to climate change, social value and circular economy principles. Not only that, Version 6 also brings the exciting launch of BRE's brand new technical manual for existing residential assets.
The updated standard for measuring, improving and certifying operational and environmental performance of existing assets is now live. BREEAM In-Use Version 6 brings major improvements for commercial buildings and a brand new offering tailored for residential applications.
Since its creation in 2009, BREEAM In-Use has already been used by thousands of assets in over 30 countries to benchmark, improve and certify their performance and to showcase high standards of Environmental Social Governance (ESG). With this update, BREEAM In-Use continues to encourage and support the improvement of all buildings, wherever they are in their sustainability journey. The BREEAM In-Use process continues to create, protect and grow asset value by acting to encourage investment in the asset’s performance, not just in obtaining a certificate.
- Full technical manuals for both commercial and residential for the technical detail that gives confidence in the high standards being met.
- A high-level overview of the technical standards in Version 6 for commercial and residential.
- A summary of the changes from the 2015 version for the commercial manual.
- A summary of the external feedback received during public consultation including how it was addressed.
- Release of the updated online platform with its new user interface.
- Updated fees including V6’s three-year certificate validity to provide maximum value.
Version 6 registrations are open for commercial and residential assets, with commercial assets able to register and measure through the new online platform. Online registration for residential assets will come by late Summer 2020, with offline scoring and reporting tools available in the interim. Contact the BREEAM In-Use team to request more information.
 Upgrade from 2015 to V6
For those working to BREEAM In-Use 2015, there will be a phased transition to make sure that assessors and clients have enough time before they have to upgrade. Registrations for 2015 assets will remain open through 11 May 2021 except for certified assets that are due to expire after this date.
 Sustainability and ESG are more important than ever
The global upheaval that we are all likely experiencing in some way underlines that sustainability and a focus on ESG performance is now, more than ever, absolutely critical to safeguarding our collective future for generations to come.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Issue support documents
|These are Multiple Author Articles - click on them and add to them today. It's easy.|
You can also add to General Multiple Author Articles here
Issue support documents are written for named BREEAM Issues or sub-issues. More info. (ac) = awaiting content
|Thanks to our Knowledge Sharing Ambassadors for a lot of this content|
- BREEAM Sustainability champion
- BREEAM Environmental management
- BREEAM Considerate construction
- BREEAM Monitoring of construction site impacts
- BREEAM Aftercare support
- BREEAM Seasonal commissioning
- BREEAM Testing and inspecting building fabric
- BREEAM Life cycle cost and service life planning
- BREEAM Stakeholder consultation (ac)
- BREEAM Commissioning (ac)
- BREEAM Handover (ac)
- BREEAM Inclusive and accessible design (ac)
- BREEAM Post occupancy evaluation
 Health and Wellbeing
- BREEAM Visual comfort Daylighting (partly ac)
- BREEAM Visual comfort View out
- BREEAM Visual comfort Glare control
- BREEAM Indoor air quality plan
- BREEAM Indoor air quality Ventilation
- BREEAM Thermal comfort
- BREEAM Internal and external lighting (ac)
- BREEAM Indoor pollutants VOCs (ac)
- BREEAM Potential for natural ventilation (ac)
- BREEAM Safe containment in laboratories (ac)
- BREEAM Acoustic performance
- BREEAM Safety and security (ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of energy use and carbon emissions
- BREEAM Energy monitoring
- BREEAM External lighting
- BREEAM Low carbon design
- BREEAM Passive design
- BREEAM Free cooling
- BREEAM LZC technologies
- BREEAM Energy efficient cold storage (partly ac)
- BREEAM Energy efficient transportation systems
- BREEAM Energy efficient laboratory systems
- BREEAM Energy efficient equipment (partly ac)
- BREEAM Drying space
- BREEAM Transport assessment and travel plan
- BREEAM Public transport accessibility
- BREEAM Sustainable transport measures
- BREEAM Proximity to amenities
- BREEAM Cyclist facilities
- BREEAM Alternative modes of transport (ac)
- BREEAM Maximum car parking capacity
- BREEAM Travel plan
- BREEAM Home office (ac)
- BREEAM Water consumption
- BREEAM Water efficient equipment
- BREEAM Water monitoring
- BREEAM Water leak detection (ac)
- BREEAM Hard landscaping and boundary protection
- BREEAM Responsible sourcing of materials
- BREEAM Insulation
- BREEAM Designing for durability and resilience
- BREEAM Life cycle impacts
- BREEAM Material efficiency (ac)
- BREEAM Construction waste management
- BREEAM Recycled aggregates
- BREEAM Speculative floor & ceiling finishes
- BREEAM Adaptation to climate change
- BREEAM Operational waste
- BREEAM Functional adaptability (ac)
 Land Use and Ecology
- BREEAM Site Selection
- BREEAM Ecological value of site
- BREEAM Protection of ecological features
- BREEAM Minimising impact on existing site ecology
- BREEAM Enhancing site ecology
- BREEAM Long term impact on biodiversity (ac)
- BREEAM Impact of refrigerants
- BREEAM NOx emissions
- BREEAM Flood risk management (ac)
- BREEAM Surface water run-off (ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of night time light pollution (partly ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of noise pollution
Once an ISD has been initially created the '(ac)' marker can be removed
This particular index is based around the structure of the New Construction and RFO schemes.