- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 10 Dec 2021
BREEAM In-Use Version 6 environmental standard launched by BRE
BREEAM In-Use Version 6 comes with a host of new and improved features that build upon BREEAM’s industry leading standards for driving environmental performance and occupant health and wellbeing with added emphasis on resilience to climate change, social value and circular economy principles. Not only that, Version 6 also brings the exciting launch of BRE's brand new technical manual for existing residential assets.
The updated standard for measuring, improving and certifying operational and environmental performance of existing assets is now live. BREEAM In-Use Version 6 brings major improvements for commercial buildings and a brand new offering tailored for residential applications.
Since its creation in 2009, BREEAM In-Use has already been used by thousands of assets in over 30 countries to benchmark, improve and certify their performance and to showcase high standards of Environmental Social Governance (ESG). With this update, BREEAM In-Use continues to encourage and support the improvement of all buildings, wherever they are in their sustainability journey. The BREEAM In-Use process continues to create, protect and grow asset value by acting to encourage investment in the asset’s performance, not just in obtaining a certificate.
- Full technical manuals for both commercial and residential for the technical detail that gives confidence in the high standards being met.
- A high-level overview of the technical standards in Version 6 for commercial and residential.
- A summary of the changes from the 2015 version for the commercial manual.
- A summary of the external feedback received during public consultation including how it was addressed.
- Release of the updated online platform with its new user interface.
- Updated fees including V6’s three-year certificate validity to provide maximum value.
Version 6 registrations are open for commercial and residential assets, with commercial assets able to register and measure through the new online platform. Online registration for residential assets will come by late Summer 2020, with offline scoring and reporting tools available in the interim. Contact the BREEAM In-Use team to request more information.
For those working to BREEAM In-Use 2015, there will be a phased transition to make sure that assessors and clients have enough time before they have to upgrade. Registrations for 2015 assets will remain open through 11 May 2021 except for certified assets that are due to expire after this date.
 Sustainability and ESG are more important than ever
The global upheaval that we are all likely experiencing in some way underlines that sustainability and a focus on ESG performance is now, more than ever, absolutely critical to safeguarding our collective future for generations to come.
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BREEAM International New Construction Version 6.
- BREEAM In-Use International 2015.
- BREEAM USA and Fitwel.
- BREEAM USA In-Use: Residential Plus.
- BREEAM USA In-Use Version 6.
- Building Back Better: Resilience.
- Building Research Establishment.
- BRE Trust.
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design.
- Liverpool Cargo Building case study.
Featured articles and news
The last few days, but action needed over the next decade.
80 construction leaders and companies from across the UK.
Promoting the importance of building and fire safety.
A brief run through essential training tips from a user.
A comprehensive guide from a Cohesive BIM wiki user.
From the basics to the future from our Cohesive BIM wiki.
As electrical sector feels skills shortage bite.
CIOB Academy’s course take-up inked to external factors.
Q and A with self-representing artist, Hannah Shergold.
And publishes three-year strategic plan.
Introducing changes to make it more effective from 2024.
Shortlist announced for 2023 public choice award vote.
The last of the Victorians. Book review.
An exotic name that is shrouded in mystery.
From practice to research and the business of materials.