BREEAM USA In-Use Version 6
This update reflects the latest building research and science, best practices and standards as well as consultation with stakeholders. In addition to improvements in the standard for commercial assets, BREEAM In-Use includes residential for the first time, the result of an 18-month long pilot process with participants around the world.
One of the most significant changes with this update was to pivot BREEAM from not just looking back at past environmental performance but looking towards protecting the asset’s environmental and financial performance in the future. This linking of asset value growth and protection and environmental performance has always existed in BREEAM, but the changing world made it imperative that it was addressed more intentionally.
This update put a significant emphasis on the integration of resilience with environmental performance and occupant health and wellbeing at the asset level. Alongside this, BRE have woven social impact into the standard, acknowledging that asset resilience is deeply connected to the resilience and sustainability of the communities in which they are located. BREEAM is the first global rating system to incorporate these elements alongside environmental performance in a single program and with a focus on existing buildings.
- The technical manuals for commercial and residential, with the full technical detail available to download at no cost.
- A summary of changes from the 2016 version for the commercial manual that highlights how residential fits into the programme.
- A summary of the external feedback received globally during public consultation and how it was addressed.
- An updated fee sheet including Version 6’s three-year certificate validity to provide maximum value.
There is also a technical standard summary to provide an overview of the topics covered in the updated version.
v2016 will remain open for registrations for one year from May 2020, giving clients and Assessors time to plan before they have to upgrade. Assets that are due to expire after this one-year window will need to recertify in Version 6.
You can find out more at: https://www.breeam.com/news/breeam-usa-in-use-version-6-is-here/
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BRE articles.
- BREEAM In-Use International 2015.
- BREEAM In-Use International.
- BREEAM In-Use Version 6 environmental standard launched by BRE.
- BREEAM USA and Fitwel.
- BREEAM USA.
- BREEAM USA In-Use: Residential Plus.
- Building Back Better: Health.
- Building Back Better: Net zero carbon and BREEAM.
- Building Back Better: Resilience.
- Building Research Establishment.
Issue support documents
|These are Multiple Author Articles - click on them and add to them today. It's easy.|
You can also add to General Multiple Author Articles here.
Issue support documents are written for named BREEAM Issues or sub-issues. More info. (ac) = awaiting content.
|Thanks to our Knowledge Sharing Ambassadors for a lot of this content|
- BREEAM Sustainability champion
- BREEAM Environmental management
- BREEAM Considerate construction
- BREEAM Monitoring of construction site impacts
- BREEAM Aftercare support
- BREEAM Seasonal commissioning
- BREEAM Testing and inspecting building fabric
- BREEAM Life cycle cost and service life planning
- BREEAM Stakeholder consultation (ac)
- BREEAM Commissioning (ac)
- BREEAM Handover (ac)
- BREEAM Inclusive and accessible design (ac)
- BREEAM Post occupancy evaluation
 Health and Wellbeing
- BREEAM Visual comfort Daylighting (partly ac)
- BREEAM Visual comfort View out
- BREEAM Visual comfort Glare control
- BREEAM Indoor air quality plan
- BREEAM Indoor air quality Ventilation
- BREEAM Thermal comfort
- BREEAM Internal and external lighting (ac)
- BREEAM Indoor pollutants VOCs (ac)
- BREEAM Potential for natural ventilation (ac)
- BREEAM Safe containment in laboratories (ac)
- BREEAM Acoustic performance
- BREEAM Safety and security (ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of energy use and carbon emissions
- BREEAM Energy monitoring
- BREEAM External lighting
- BREEAM Low carbon design
- BREEAM Passive design
- BREEAM Free cooling
- BREEAM LZC technologies
- BREEAM Energy efficient cold storage (partly ac)
- BREEAM Energy efficient transportation systems
- BREEAM Energy efficient laboratory systems
- BREEAM Energy efficient equipment (partly ac)
- BREEAM Drying space
- BREEAM Transport assessment and travel plan
- BREEAM Public transport accessibility
- BREEAM Sustainable transport measures
- BREEAM Proximity to amenities
- BREEAM Cyclist facilities
- BREEAM Alternative modes of transport (ac)
- BREEAM Maximum car parking capacity
- BREEAM Travel plan
- BREEAM Home office (ac)
- BREEAM Water consumption
- BREEAM Water efficient equipment
- BREEAM Water monitoring
- BREEAM Water leak detection (ac)
- BREEAM Hard landscaping and boundary protection
- BREEAM Responsible sourcing of materials
- BREEAM Insulation
- BREEAM Designing for durability and resilience
- BREEAM Life cycle impacts
- BREEAM Material efficiency (ac)
- BREEAM Construction waste management
- BREEAM Recycled aggregates
- BREEAM Speculative floor & ceiling finishes
- BREEAM Adaptation to climate change
- BREEAM Operational waste
- BREEAM Functional adaptability (ac)
 Land Use and Ecology
- BREEAM Site Selection
- BREEAM Ecological value of site
- BREEAM Protection of ecological features
- BREEAM Minimising impact on existing site ecology
- BREEAM Enhancing site ecology
- BREEAM Long term impact on biodiversity (ac)
- BREEAM Impact of refrigerants
- BREEAM NOx emissions
- BREEAM Flood risk management (ac)
- BREEAM Surface water run-off (ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of night time light pollution (partly ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of noise pollution
Once an ISD has been initially created the '(ac)' marker can be removed
This particular index is based around the structure of the New Construction and RFO schemes.