- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 12 Oct 2021
The circular economy is a concept in which everything is engineered to be constantly reused or recycled. It requires rethinking of design, manufacturing, selling, re-using, recycling and consumer ownership to keep resources in use for as long as possible and to extract maximum value.
'Business as usual' sees contractors and the supply chain following the waste hierarchy; reduce, reuse and recycle, to a greater or lesser extent. But the concept of the circular economy goes beyond the 3 R's and aims to maximise total material resource efficiency.
There is massive economic advantage for businesses adopting a circular economy. The UK Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) calculates profit of up to £23 billion per year for UK businesses through low cost or no cost improvements and McKinsey estimates a global value of $3.7 trillion per year (ref. WRAP).
 Useful references
- Practical application of circular economy principles for structural engineers
- Applying circular principles to the design process for structural engineers
- Circular Construction.
- 5 things leaders can do to create a truly circular economy.
- A social, circular economy.
- Blockchains will change construction.
- BREEAM Construction waste management.
- Building Back Better: Circularity and BREEAM.
- Building back better with BREEAM.
- Building Revolutions - review.
- Cement and concrete companies release 2050 Climate Ambition.
- Circular economy models.
- Circular economy - transforming the worlds number one consumer of raw materials.
- Construction waste.
- Cradle to cradle product registry system.
- Design for deconstruction.
- Economic sustainability.
- End of life potential.
- England metro mayors work to deliver ambitious climate action.
- Examining the 2021 construction materials shortage.
- Green supply chain management.
- Impact of the sharing economy on construction craft labour and equipment markets.
- Life cycle.
- ReCon Soil project.
- Recyclable construction materials.
- Reduce, reuse, recycle.
- Renewable energy.
- Reused construction products.
- Sustainable materials.
- Waste management plan.
- Waste management plan for England.
Featured articles and news
LETI publishes guidance for energy efficient home retrofits.
Predictions about adequate post-pandemic IAQ in non-domestic buildings.
Government publishes plans to 'build back greener'.
The contentious nature of claims associated with cladding, fire safety and EWS1 forms.
ECA comments on low-carbon heating systems initiative and Heat and Buildings Strategy.
Cinders and other forms of domestic rubbish created filth but also generated great wealth.
CIC 2050 Group requests input to find out priorities for future industry leaders.
IHBC publishes response to consultation.
Institute applauds funding initiatives but presses for additional retrofit and tax measures.