Building back better with BREEAM
The COVID-19 pandemic has caused an unprecedented public health crisis and the most significant economic shock since the Great Depression, exposing weaknesses in our economy and society. It has also demonstrated what society can achieve by working for a common goal against a common threat.
Demand for a return to a better normal is increasing with the spotlight being shone on global issues - the impending threat of climate change being most prevalent. Without action, the global climate change crisis will cause social and economic damage far greater than those caused by COVID-19.
BREEAM is well placed to help the built environment achieve this in a meaningful way. BREEAM was the world’s first sustainability rating, and BREEAM standards are tailored to address the unique aspects of each life cycle stage in the built environment. BREEAM standards support investors, developers, clients and stakeholders to deliver and validate the sustainability value of their assets and, in doing so, create higher values and lower risks. BREEAM works by bringing multiple disciplines together to focus on one common, holistic framework. It sets performance levels to support a consistent method and offers tradeable and flexibility.
BREEAM has been considering its role and responsibility in the effort to build back better. BREEAM’s contribution can be explored in the overarching briefing hub ‘Building Back Better with BREEAM: Supporting the green recovery’.
This resource serves to provide an overview of the various environmental, economic and social issues that BREEAM addresses. The BREEAM position on each of these issues will be detailed in specific briefing papers that will be released over time as the organisation works through the COVID-19 challenge.
The specific topic areas include:
- Net Zero Carbon
- Circular Economy
- Social Impact
- Natural Environment
- Quality and Whole Life Performance
Find out more at: https://www.breeam.com/building-back-better/.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BREEAM Awards 2021.
- BREEAM Life cycle cost and service life planning.
- BREEAM: The Next Generation.
- Building Back Better: Health.
- Building Back Better: Net zero carbon and BREEAM.
- Building Back Better: Resilience.
- Building Back Better: Social impact.
- Circular economy.
- Health in the built environment.
- Natural environment.
- Net zero carbon 2050.
- Social Sustainability at Master-planning Stage.
- Whole life costs.
Issue support documents
|These are Multiple Author Articles - click on them and add to them today. It's easy.|
You can also add to General Multiple Author Articles here.
Issue support documents are written for named BREEAM Issues or sub-issues. More info. (ac) = awaiting content.
|Thanks to our Knowledge Sharing Ambassadors for a lot of this content|
- BREEAM Sustainability champion
- BREEAM Environmental management
- BREEAM Considerate construction
- BREEAM Monitoring of construction site impacts
- BREEAM Aftercare support
- BREEAM Seasonal commissioning
- BREEAM Testing and inspecting building fabric
- BREEAM Life cycle cost and service life planning
- BREEAM Stakeholder consultation (ac)
- BREEAM Commissioning (ac)
- BREEAM Handover (ac)
- BREEAM Inclusive and accessible design (ac)
- BREEAM Post occupancy evaluation
 Health and Wellbeing
- BREEAM Visual comfort Daylighting (partly ac)
- BREEAM Visual comfort View out
- BREEAM Visual comfort Glare control
- BREEAM Indoor air quality plan
- BREEAM Indoor air quality Ventilation
- BREEAM Thermal comfort
- BREEAM Internal and external lighting (ac)
- BREEAM Indoor pollutants VOCs (ac)
- BREEAM Potential for natural ventilation (ac)
- BREEAM Safe containment in laboratories (ac)
- BREEAM Acoustic performance
- BREEAM Safety and security (ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of energy use and carbon emissions
- BREEAM Energy monitoring
- BREEAM External lighting
- BREEAM Low carbon design
- BREEAM Passive design
- BREEAM Free cooling
- BREEAM LZC technologies
- BREEAM Energy efficient cold storage (partly ac)
- BREEAM Energy efficient transportation systems
- BREEAM Energy efficient laboratory systems
- BREEAM Energy efficient equipment (partly ac)
- BREEAM Drying space
- BREEAM Transport assessment and travel plan
- BREEAM Public transport accessibility
- BREEAM Sustainable transport measures
- BREEAM Proximity to amenities
- BREEAM Cyclist facilities
- BREEAM Alternative modes of transport (ac)
- BREEAM Maximum car parking capacity
- BREEAM Travel plan
- BREEAM Home office (ac)
- BREEAM Water consumption
- BREEAM Water efficient equipment
- BREEAM Water monitoring
- BREEAM Water leak detection (ac)
- BREEAM Hard landscaping and boundary protection
- BREEAM Responsible sourcing of materials
- BREEAM Insulation
- BREEAM Designing for durability and resilience
- BREEAM Life cycle impacts
- BREEAM Material efficiency (ac)
- BREEAM Construction waste management
- BREEAM Recycled aggregates
- BREEAM Speculative floor & ceiling finishes
- BREEAM Adaptation to climate change
- BREEAM Operational waste
- BREEAM Functional adaptability (ac)
 Land Use and Ecology
- BREEAM Site Selection
- BREEAM Ecological value of site
- BREEAM Protection of ecological features
- BREEAM Minimising impact on existing site ecology
- BREEAM Enhancing site ecology
- BREEAM Long term impact on biodiversity (ac)
- BREEAM Impact of refrigerants
- BREEAM NOx emissions
- BREEAM Flood risk management (ac)
- BREEAM Surface water run-off (ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of night time light pollution (partly ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of noise pollution
Once an ISD has been initially created the '(ac)' marker can be removed
This particular index is based around the structure of the New Construction and RFO schemes.