- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 09 Feb 2016
University of the West of England – Department of Architecture and the Built Environment
University of the West of England
Tel: +44 (0)117 9656261
Email: [email protected]
The Department of Architecture and the Built Environment is a broad-based intellectual community committed to an inter-disciplinary approach to the creation and management of sustainable buildings, whether they are in urban or rural environments, residential or commercial, new or refurbished.
Sustainability and the environment are common themes across all courses, and research in these subjects underpins all teaching. Design, construction and development must be organised and managed in a professional environment. Work has to be planned to ensure it is on time, within budget and to quality targets. And during occupation, built assets need to be refurbished, maintained, conserved and adapted to maximise their value for users and owners.
At the multi-disciplinary Department of Architecture and the Built Environment, they are concerned with all these aspects and ensure their courses offer the necessary knowledge and skills needed for success in this field.
The department has invested heavily in facilities, and offer students the chance to work in award-winning purpose built studios. They also organise regular field trips and site visits to a variety of UK and international destinations, helping students gain invaluable experience and understanding of Architecture and the Built Environment in the real world.
The department is an accredited partner of the major professional bodies including RIBA, ARB, RiCS, RTPI, CIOB, CIAT, CIH and CIBSE. They have established partnerships with global players in the design, construction and property sectors, ensuring that courses are current and relevant to industry needs and leading to industrial placements, advice and professional practice. The world leading research is used to ensure programmes remain at the cutting edge.
 Undergraduate courses
- BSc Architectural Technology and Design
- BSc Architecture
- BSc Architecture and Environmental Engineering
- BA Architecture and Planning
- BEng Building Services Engineering
- BSc Building Surveying
- BSc Construction Project Management
- BSc Creative Product Design
- BA Interior Architecture
- BSc Product Design Technology
- BA Property Development and Planning
- BSc Quantity Surveying and Commercial Management
- BSc Real Estate
 Postgraduate courses
- MArch Architecture
- MSc Building Information Modelling in Design Construction and Operations
- MSc Building Surveying
- MSc Construction Project Management
- Postgraduate Diploma International Construction Law
- Postgraduate Certificate Professional Practice and Management in Architecture
- MSc Quantity Surveying
- MSc Real Estate Finance and Investment
- MSc Real Estate Management
Featured articles and news
Bamboo pavilion built at London South Bank Uni.
Bringing in an expert.
Why the lowest price isn't sustainable.
The Most Economically Advantageous Tender.
Pipe dream or possibility?
The New Rules of Measurement.
Prioritising Sustainable Development Goals on projects.
The Architects Registration Board.
How BSRIA monitored the performance of new homes.