Last edited 30 Oct 2020

Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (Amendment) (England) Order


[edit] Introduction

Generally it is up to a local planning authority to decide whether to allow a particular development or not. However, in England and Wales, the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995 enables central government to permit certain types of developments known as permitted developments. These are generally minor changes to existing properties.

Permitted developments do not require approval from the local planning authority as permission is granted by the Order. Examples of permitted developments include: certain enlargements or alterations to houses; certain pet enclosures, sheds and fuel storage containers; certain porches, doors and windows, and so on (see permitted developments for more information).

In May 2013, the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (Amendment) (England) Order 2013 came into force, making changes to permitted development rights.

[edit] Use class change

The Order allows change of use class from Offices B1(a), to Residential C3. However, it is still necessary to apply to the local planning authority to determine whether prior approval is required for other matters is still (for example, contamination, flood risk, transport and highways).

In addition, if the change of use requires any alterations to the building that are not permitted developments then these alterations will still require planning permission. Some areas, such as conservation areas, the Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, London Central Activities Zone and Tech City, and Manchester City Centre Core are excluded from the amendment (see Government maps of exempt areas). The change of use must take place before 30 May 2016.

The thresholds for change of use between B1, B2, and B8 have been increased from 235 - 500 sq. m.

A two year, temporary change of use is allowed for buildings of 150 sq. m or less from A1, B1, D1 and D2 to A1, A2, A3 and B1.

Subject to prior approval, business premises, assembly and leisure centres, residential institutions and hotels are permitted to change use to state funded schools and vice versa.

See Use Class for definitions of use classes.

[edit] Extensions

The order increases permitted development rights for single-storey (less than 4m in height) rear extensions from 4m to 8m for detached dwellings, and from 3m to 6m for other dwellings, if the dwelling is not in an exempt area and the extension does not cover more than 50% of the curtilage of the dwelling. The local planning authority will use ‘a light-touch neighboursconsultation scheme’ and will assess whether prior approval is required. The works must be completed by 30 May 2016.

In addition, extensions of 100 sq. m or 50% (whichever is lower) are permitted for offices, shops and professional and financial services. Extensions of 200 sq. m or 50% are permitted for industrial premises. The works must be completed by 30 May 2016.

[edit] Prior approval

Some of these amendments permit development only with prior approval of certain aspects or beyond certain sizes. See prior approval for more information.

[edit] Ongoing changes

Further changes to the rules for permitted development are ongoing with continual policy changes. See Permitted development for more information.

[edit] Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki

[edit] External references

Designing Buildings Anywhere

Get the Firefox add-on to access 20,000 definitions direct from any website

Find out more Accept cookies and
don't show me this again