- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 22 Jan 2021
Top 10 tips for efficient data centre management
By having good quality, reliable asset information, implementing standard and emergency operation procedures and assessing asset maintenance needs for condition, functional resilience and criticality, asset management can reduce operating costs and increase resilience.
- Develop effective operational management strategies.
- Ensure there is a continuous improvement culture.
- Ensure you capture performance data.
- Benchmark and use the data to drive improvements.
- Embrace new technologies that provide performance improvements.
- Ensure engineers are suitably trained and competent.
- Test critical assets and operating procedures regularly.
- Non useful electrical power ends up as heat: match power input to load.
- Measure your static floor pressure to ensure ventilation is getting to the heat load: think of warm air as a pollutant.
- Review your maintenance tasks to ensure the activities address the likely causes of failure.
"You must have a management strategy in place that enables you to undertake the management and maintenance of the assets. Then the key is to check that what you had planned is actually giving you the results you wanted.
"Measures that reduce risk in a business with a critical environment are key for operators and should be of interest to BSRIA members. These salient tips will hopefully get organisations on to the path of success.
BSRIA can independently audit critical environment management, advise on maintenance strategies explaining the principles of business focused maintenance, test critical environmental designs and environmental conditions and deliver the most accurate and authoritative results that can help:
- Architects to validate their critical environment design.
- Developers to prove efficient design of the effective critical environment.
- Contractors’ confidence in the construction and commissioning of the system.
- Building owners' delivery of a reduced risk critical environment.
This article was originally published here in May 2017.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Standard will help employers foster wellbeing and manage psychosocial risks.
Global fire standards for safety of people and property.
An introduction to the 5 core principles of lean.
Can the profession use its skills to save the world from climate change?
How faulty science resulted in sanitation reform.
Improving facilities, accessibility and overall appearance.
Free download of TG 12/2021 available.
TESP works with The Youth Group to form skill sharing network.
Big tech collaborates on platform for the built environment.
Letter signed by 21 organisations sent to MHCLG.
A look at the Government's strategic approach.
Steps to help reduce the spread of infection inside buildings.
This social media-centred hobby can be both dangerous and illegal.
Millwork wall treatment with a long and illustrious history.
Click the button to subscribe.