- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 24 Jan 2019
Approved document B, Fire Safety, Volume 2 – Buildings other than dwellinghouses, includes classifications of purpose groups for which buildings or compartments of a building are intended to be used.
It defines residential purpose groups as:
- Flat. A separate and self-contained premises constructed or adapted for use for residential purposes and forming part of a building from some other part of which it is divided horizontally (includes live/work units, i.e. a flat intended to serve as a workplace for its occupants and for persons who do not live on the premises).
- Dwellinghouse which contains a habitable storey with a floor level which is more than 4.5 m above ground level. This includes any surgeries, consulting rooms, offices or other accommodation, not exceeding 50 sq. m in total, forming part of a dwellinghouse and used by an occupant of the dwellinghouse in a professional or business capacity.
- Dwellinghouse which does not contain a habitable storey with a floor level which is more than 4.5 m above ground level. This includes any surgeries, consulting rooms, offices or other accommodation, not exceeding 50 sq. m in total, forming part of a dwellinghouse and used by an occupant of the dwellinghouse in a professional or business capacity. It also Includes a detached garage not more than 40 sq. m, a detached open carport of not more than 40 sq. m, or a detached building which consists of a garage and open carport where neither the garage nor the open carport exceeds 40 sq. m in area.
Residential (Institutional): Hospital, home, school or other similar establishment used as living accommodation for, or for the treatment, care or maintenance of persons suffering from disabilities due to illness or old age or other physical or mental incapacity, or under the age of 5 years, or place of lawful detention, where such persons sleep on the premises.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Approved documents.
- Definition of institution.
- Domestic building.
- Flat definition.
- Housing stock / building stock.
- Room for residential purposes.
- Sheltered housing definition.
- Shop definition.
- Terraced house.
- Types of building.
- Types of dwelling.
- Use class.
Featured articles and news
How are bids evaluated?
Ensuring products contribute to personal safety.
Is there light at the end of the tunnel?
A new theory for managing large complex projects.
A new guide to fire safety and security in the selection of doorsets.
Review of the long-awaited discourse on these beautifully produced, colourful wallpapers.
Well-designed lighting helps maintain a healthy physiological and psychological balance.
Transferring the risk for obtaining the target BREEAM rating.
A simple but effective way to determine the root cause of an issue.
BSRIA report suggest the European market will double to 415 million Euros by 2023.