- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 24 Jan 2019
Approved document B, Fire Safety, Volume 2 – Buildings other than dwellinghouses, includes classifications of purpose groups for which buildings or compartments of a building are intended to be used.
It defines residential purpose groups as:
- Flat. A separate and self-contained premises constructed or adapted for use for residential purposes and forming part of a building from some other part of which it is divided horizontally (includes live/work units, i.e. a flat intended to serve as a workplace for its occupants and for persons who do not live on the premises).
- Dwellinghouse which contains a habitable storey with a floor level which is more than 4.5 m above ground level. This includes any surgeries, consulting rooms, offices or other accommodation, not exceeding 50 sq. m in total, forming part of a dwellinghouse and used by an occupant of the dwellinghouse in a professional or business capacity.
- Dwellinghouse which does not contain a habitable storey with a floor level which is more than 4.5 m above ground level. This includes any surgeries, consulting rooms, offices or other accommodation, not exceeding 50 sq. m in total, forming part of a dwellinghouse and used by an occupant of the dwellinghouse in a professional or business capacity. It also Includes a detached garage not more than 40 sq. m, a detached open carport of not more than 40 sq. m, or a detached building which consists of a garage and open carport where neither the garage nor the open carport exceeds 40 sq. m in area.
Residential (Institutional): Hospital, home, school or other similar establishment used as living accommodation for, or for the treatment, care or maintenance of persons suffering from disabilities due to illness or old age or other physical or mental incapacity, or under the age of 5 years, or place of lawful detention, where such persons sleep on the premises.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Approved documents.
- Definition of institution.
- Domestic building.
- Flat definition.
- Housing stock / building stock.
- Room for residential purposes.
- Sheltered housing definition.
- Shop definition.
- Terraced house.
- Types of building.
- Types of dwelling.
- Use class.
Featured articles and news
The Ocean Cleanup project
The various types of bond and when they are used.
It's vital the industry responds to proposals for reform of the safety regulatory system.
RSHP's Merano wins RIBA accolade.
How to differentiate between partial possession and early use.
Ofwat proposes £12 billion additional investment and £50 bill reductions.
Avoiding 'winner's curse' and other useful info.
Developing test methods for video flame/smoke detectors
Waiting for a new deal ...but will funding materialise?
Our servers have reached another milestone. Why not write an article and be seen by our 6.5 million users.
RSHP celebrates competition win in Paris.
All about approved inspectors.