- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 17 Nov 2019
Approved document B, Fire Safety, Volume 2 – Buildings other than dwellinghouses, includes classifications of purpose groups for which buildings or compartments of a building are intended to be used.
It defines residential purpose groups as:
- Dwellinghouse that contains a habitable storey with a floor level a minimum of 4.5m above ground level up to a maximum of 18m.
- Dwellinghouse that does not contain a habitable storey with a floor level a minimum of 4.5m above ground level.
- Living accommodation for, or accommodation for the treatment, care or maintenance of, either:
- People suffering from disabilities due to illness or old age or other physical or mental incapacity
- People under the age of 5 years.
- A place of lawful detention.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Approved documents.
- Definition of institution.
- Domestic building.
- Flat definition.
- Housing stock / building stock.
- Room for residential purposes.
- Sheltered housing definition.
- Shop definition.
- Terraced house.
- Types of building.
- Types of dwelling.
- Use class.
Featured articles and news
New design guide sets out requirements for a net zero future.
Achieving zero carbon by 2050.
Response options to party wall notices.
The government pledges £500m to reverse rail closures.
Learning lessons from HS2
Types of construction organisation.
European ports in a historic and global perspective. Book review.
The post-war response to blitz and blight.
Could you be our new editor?
Evaluating occupant satisfaction.
The Ancona eco-mansion