- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 11 Nov 2020
Approved document B, Fire Safety, Volume 2 – Buildings other than dwellinghouses, includes classifications of purpose groups for which buildings or compartments of a building are intended to be used.
It defines residential purpose groups as:
- Dwellinghouse that contains a habitable storey with a floor level a minimum of 4.5m above ground level up to a maximum of 18m.
- Dwellinghouse that does not contain a habitable storey with a floor level a minimum of 4.5m above ground level.
- People suffering from disabilities due to illness or old age or other physical or mental incapacity
- People under the age of 5 years.
- A place of lawful detention.
NB The Scottish Building Standards, Part I. Technical Handbook – Domestic, Appendix A Defined Terms, defines a residential building as: ‘…a building, other than a domestic building, having sleeping accommodation.’
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Approved documents.
- Definition of institution.
- Domestic building.
- Flat definition.
- Housing stock / building stock.
- Manual to the Building Regulations
- Original house.
- Proposed changes: MHCLG consultation on house building statistics.
- Room for residential purposes.
- Shared residential accommodation.
- Sheltered housing definition.
- Shop definition.
- Terraced house.
- Types of building.
- Types of dwelling.
- Use class.
Featured articles and news
Proper materials and maintenance can help reduce rust.
Is the construction sector responding to calls for ED&I?
Engineers pay tribute by sharing their memories.
The hidden price of infrastructure.
BREEAM incorporates wellbeing into its Building Back Better programme.
Administration signals policy changes on some building-related issues.
From inns and coaching houses to boutiques.
Survey reveals green skills gap.
America's economic collapse produced scores of PWA Moderne projects.
The benefits of glowing aggregates and cement.
Urgent need for open communication to address mental health issues.