Last edited 21 Oct 2020



In the UK, the term ‘duplex’ refers to an apartment (not a house) that includes two floors of accommodation, joined by an internal staircase.

Historically, this would have been referred to as a maisonette, but the term duplex has become increasingly popular because of its perceived Americanism, and is generally applied to apartments with a more modern design, whereas a maisonette might be more traditional.

An apartment with three floors can be referred to as a triplex. There is some dispute about whether an apartment with a mezzanine level should be referred to as a duplex. Where a duplex is on the top floor of a high-rise building, it might also be referred to as a penthouse.

Strangely however, and rather confusingly, in the USA, a ‘duplex’ is a dwelling comprising two apartments with separate entrances, whether the apartments are side by side, or one above the other.

[edit] Find out more

[edit] Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki


So what would the american term for duplex with two accomodations in the same dwelling be called in the UK?

Designing Buildings Anywhere

Get the Firefox add-on to access 20,000 definitions direct from any website

Find out more Accept cookies and
don't show me this again