- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 05 Jun 2020
The previous edition of approved document b also suggested that this '...includes live/work units, i.e. a flat intended to serve as a workplace for its occupants and for persons who do not live on the premises.'
The English Housing Survey Housing Stock Report, 2014-15, prepared by the Department of Communities and Local Government, gives the following additional categories:
- Converted flat: A flat resulting from the conversion of a house or former non-residential building. Includes buildings converted into a flat plus commercial premises (such as corner shops).
- Purpose built flat, low rise: A flat in a purpose built block less than six storeys high. Includes cases where there is only one flat with independent access in a building which is also used for non-domestic purposes.
- Purpose built flat, high rise: A flat in a purpose built block of at least six storeys high.
In North America, the term 'condominium' refers to residential blocks in which the residents own their individual flats and the common areas are owned jointly and managed collectively. Condominiums are distinguished from apartments, in that the flats are owned rather than leased.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Approved documents.
- Corridor access.
- Domestic building.
- Housing stock / building stock.
- Residential definition.
- Room for residential purposes.
- Sheltered housing definition.
- Shop definition.
- Studio flat.
- Terraced house.
- Types of building.
- Types of dwelling.
- Use class.
- Workplace definition.
Featured articles and news
A guide to daylight design for commercial buildings.
Smart mapping approaches for building better infrastructure.
The importance of emergency planning.
Eight forms of resource optimisation.
CIOB responds to Chancellor Sunak's announcement on jobs and the economy.
Revised guide to competition rules available.
Brick slip soffit systems and intricate brick features.
An innovative engineering approach could have had tragic consequence for NYC.
Some secrets behind how canals work.
Breaking down possible steps of pre-contract management.
ICE event includes comments from Welsh Government Minister Julie James.
Designing Buildings Wiki becomes the world's first website to adopt the new knowledge standard.