- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 06 Oct 2020
The previous edition of approved document b also suggested that this '...includes live/work units, i.e. a flat intended to serve as a workplace for its occupants and for persons who do not live on the premises.'
The English Housing Survey Housing Stock Report, 2014-15, prepared by the Department of Communities and Local Government, gives the following additional categories:
- Converted flat: A flat resulting from the conversion of a house or former non-residential building. Includes buildings converted into a flat plus commercial premises (such as corner shops).
- Purpose built flat, low rise: A flat in a purpose built block less than six storeys high. Includes cases where there is only one flat with independent access in a building which is also used for non-domestic purposes.
- Purpose built flat, high rise: A flat in a purpose built block of at least six storeys high.
The Housing Grants, Construction and Regeneration Act 1996 (HGRA - also known as the Construction Act) suggests that “flat” means: ‘…a dwelling which is a separate set of premises, whether or not on the same floor, divided horizontally from some other part of the building.’
In North America, the term 'condominium' refers to residential blocks in which the residents own their individual flats and the common areas are owned jointly and managed collectively. Condominiums are distinguished from apartments, in that the flats are owned rather than leased.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Approved documents.
- Corridor access.
- Domestic building.
- Housing stock / building stock.
- Residential definition.
- Room for residential purposes.
- Sheltered housing definition.
- Shop definition.
- Studio flat.
- Terraced house.
- Types of building.
- Types of dwelling.
- Use class.
- Workplace definition.
Featured articles and news
From inns and coaching houses to boutiques.
Survey reveals green skills gap.
America's economic collapse produced scores of PWA Moderne projects.
The benefits of glowing aggregates and cement.
Urgent need for open communication to address mental health issues.
Guidance offered on COVID-19 green recovery, building safety and more.
Providing strength and support above the joists.
Enforcer will test and investigate product safety.
Underfloor air conditioning comes to 24 St James's Square.
Consultation on public right to buy unused public property.
IHBC resource offers improved consistency.