- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 03 Jul 2017
To help develop this article, click ‘Edit this article’ above.
The English Housing Survey Housing Stock Report, 2014-15, prepared by the Department of Communities and Local Government, gives the following additional categories:
- Converted flat: A flat resulting from the conversion of a house or former non-residential building. Includes buildings converted into a flat plus commercial premises (such as corner shops).
- Purpose built flat, low rise: A flat in a purpose built block less than six storeys high. Includes cases where there is only one flat with independent access in a building which is also used for non-domestic purposes.
- Purpose built flat, high rise: A flat in a purpose built block of at least six storeys high.
In North America, the term 'condominium' refers to residential blocks in which the residents own their individual flats and the common areas are owned jointly and managed collectively. Condominiums are distinguished from apartments, in that the flats are owned rather than leased.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Approved documents.
- Residential definition.
- Room for residential purposes.
- Sheltered housing definition.
- Shop definition.
- Studio flat.
- Terraced house.
- Types of building.
- Types of dwelling.
- Use class.
- Workplace definition.
Featured articles and news
The phrase ‘time at large’ describes the situation where there is no date for completion, or it has become invalid.
The Maldives is under threat from climate change. Read this report from BRE on their potential involvement in the region.
MHCLG update states there are still 124 private high-rise buildings with unsafe cladding and no remediation plan.
Starting a new built environment degree? We have a wide range of resources aimed at students.
Former railway chief James Blake says trust and control are key to successful infrastructure projects.
Do you know your Rococo from your De Stijl, your Gothic from your Post-modernist?
May outlines a new funding strategy for housing associations and says the 'stigma' of social housing needs to end.
RIBA launches a consultation on a new Plan of Work for Fire Safety.
This article offers some basic rules to follow when writing your next specification.
The iconic Mackintosh Building will definitely be rebuilt, board chairwoman confirms.
The machinery used to fashion stone has changed dramatically - and so have the products.