- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 17 Nov 2019
The previous edition of approved document b also suggested that this '...includes live/work units, i.e. a flat intended to serve as a workplace for its occupants and for persons who do not live on the premises.'
The English Housing Survey Housing Stock Report, 2014-15, prepared by the Department of Communities and Local Government, gives the following additional categories:
- Converted flat: A flat resulting from the conversion of a house or former non-residential building. Includes buildings converted into a flat plus commercial premises (such as corner shops).
- Purpose built flat, low rise: A flat in a purpose built block less than six storeys high. Includes cases where there is only one flat with independent access in a building which is also used for non-domestic purposes.
- Purpose built flat, high rise: A flat in a purpose built block of at least six storeys high.
In North America, the term 'condominium' refers to residential blocks in which the residents own their individual flats and the common areas are owned jointly and managed collectively. Condominiums are distinguished from apartments, in that the flats are owned rather than leased.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Approved documents.
- Corridor access.
- Domestic building.
- Housing stock / building stock.
- Residential definition.
- Room for residential purposes.
- Sheltered housing definition.
- Shop definition.
- Studio flat.
- Terraced house.
- Types of building.
- Types of dwelling.
- Use class.
- Workplace definition.
Featured articles and news
A simple path to possible error avoidance.
Construction + technology = ConTech.
New low and high tech tools enter the marketplace.
Report looks at mental health in the built environment.
Radiant wall heating method to control rising damp.
What future infrastructure provision might look like.
Highlighting the health benefits of home improvement.
Pavilions for music, entertainment, and leisure. Book review.
Broadening our understanding of Dublin’s chequered social history.
The charm of London's Cabmen's shelters.
Future Weather Files research tool looking for feedback.
Exploring the Colour Rendering Index.
Why it's important to find out what went wrong.
ECA reviews the shape of the construction job market.
Why proper room acoustics make a difference.
Initiative puts gas networks on the path to net zero.
WICE Woman Architectural Technologist of the Year 2019.