Project sponsor for building design and construction
On publicly-funded projects, the project sponsor (sometimes known as the project director or client manager ref Achieving Excellence Guide 2 - Project Organisation) is,
...the interface between the client team and supply team via the project manager, as the main day-to-day client representative'
Ref OGC Project sponsor.
The project sponsor might be equivalent to a board director in the private sector.
- support the SRO (senior responsible owner) by :
- preparing business case and investment appraisals and updating as required
- ensuring that Gateway reviews are undertaken
- managing the resources allocated by the SRO
- working within delegated authorities, including health and safety
- manage the department's interests in the project by:
- coordinating and directing user input
- appraising options (with assistance from independent client advisers, as appropriate, and the project manager) and submitting them to the SRO for approval
- preparing the project brief for the project manager, making the role of design clear in setting the brief and achieving the goals of the project
- controlling changes (if required) following approval, ensuring that change control procedures are adhered to
- ensuring appropriate risk management on the project
- managing the project budget, including the risk allowance
- secure professional services for delivery of the project by:
- appointing the integrated supply team (see AE5:The integrated project team) coordinating and fostering teamwork
- ensure effective delivery of the project by:
- determining the procurement route (see AE6:Procurement and contract strategies)
- producing the project execution plan, including the risk management plan, in collaboration with the project manager
- ensuring the project is managed in accordance with the project execution plan
- establishing formal reporting arrangements on project progress
- providing a focal point for all client contact with the supply team, providing approvals and decisions as necessary
- carry out a post project review with the integrated project team
- ensure effective feedback from the project by assisting the SRO in carrying out a post implementation review to inform the IDM and SRO of:
- how far the project met the department's interests and objectives
- what lessons need to be learned for the future (things done well and areas that need to improve).
NB The Office of Government Commerce (OGC) has now been absorbed into the Efficiency and Reform Group (ERG) within the Cabinet Office. OGC guidance has been archived, however, it is cited in the Government Construction Strategy and the Common Minimum Standards, and links are provided to OGC documents from government websites such as the Major Projects Authority. The OGC gateway review process still provides one of the best and most comprehensive sets of guidance for public projects. It is for this reason that the project plan for public projects within Designing Buildings Wiki follows the OGC gateway review process.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Independent client adviser.
- Integrated project team.
- Integrated supply team.
- Investment decision maker.
- Project board.
- Project manager.
- Senior responsible owner.
- User panel.
 External references
Featured articles and news
Christiania is an anarchist 'freetown' in Copenhagen where strange and experimental architecture has flourished.
“UK waste data needs improving” say BRE specialists, in this summary of their report into construction waste.
UandI announce new joint venture with US developer to work on office refurbishment projects.
BSRIA give critical response to Theresa May's speech on leaving the EU.
Why buildings crack, how cracks are categorised and what can be done.
Inaugurated last week, the new Elbphilharmonie concert venue; a soaring new addition to Hamburg's skyline.
Summary of a new ICE Transport journal which says improving transport infrastructure is essential to eradicating global poverty.
BRE look at a new government report into the accuracy of heat meters.
Herzog & de Meuron get planning permission for revamp of Chelsea FC football stadium.
UK-GBC green paper proposes more powers for cities on new-build housing.
The Pompidou Centre – not a monument but an event.
Designing Buildings Wiki talks to the founder of the world's first indoor biophilic gym, now open in London.