- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 27 Aug 2018
Project sponsor for building design and construction
On publicly-funded projects, the project sponsor (sometimes known as the project director or client manager ref Achieving Excellence Guide 2 - Project Organisation) is,
Ref OGC Project sponsor.
- support the SRO (senior responsible owner) by :
- preparing business case and investment appraisals and updating as required
- ensuring that Gateway reviews are undertaken
- managing the resources allocated by the SRO
- working within delegated authorities, including health and safety
- manage the department's interests in the project by:
- coordinating and directing user input
- appraising options (with assistance from independent client advisers, as appropriate, and the project manager) and submitting them to the SRO for approval
- preparing the project brief for the project manager, making the role of design clear in setting the brief and achieving the goals of the project
- controlling changes (if required) following approval, ensuring that change control procedures are adhered to
- ensuring appropriate risk management on the project
- managing the project budget, including the risk allowance
- appointing the integrated supply team (see AE5:The integrated project team) coordinating and fostering teamwork
- ensure effective delivery of the project by:
- determining the procurement route (see AE6:Procurement and contract strategies)
- producing the project execution plan, including the risk management plan, in collaboration with the project manager
- ensuring the project is managed in accordance with the project execution plan
- establishing formal reporting arrangements on project progress
- providing a focal point for all client contact with the supply team, providing approvals and decisions as necessary
- carry out a post project review with the integrated project team
- ensure effective feedback from the project by assisting the SRO in carrying out a post implementation review to inform the IDM and SRO of:
- how far the project met the department's interests and objectives
- what lessons need to be learned for the future (things done well and areas that need to improve).
NB The Office of Government Commerce (OGC) has now been absorbed into the Efficiency and Reform Group (ERG) within the Cabinet Office. OGC guidance has been archived, however, it is cited in the Government Construction Strategy and the Common Minimum Standards, and links are provided to OGC documents from government websites such as the Major Projects Authority. The OGC gateway review process still provides one of the best and most comprehensive sets of guidance for public projects. It is for this reason that the project plan for public projects within Designing Buildings Wiki follows the OGC gateway review process.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Independent client adviser.
- Integrated project team.
- Integrated supply team.
- Investment decision maker.
- Project board.
- Project manager.
- Senior responsible owner.
- User panel.
 External references
Featured articles and news
ICE responds to a transport consultation advising the government to make decisions enabling more inclusive cities.
BRE and Loughborough University complete first phase refurbishment of demonstration home.
How the risk of collapse of fibrous plaster ceilings is being addressed in theatres.
If you’re a great writer and have practical experience of the construction industry, it could be you.
Frustrated by long documents or technical jargon? Put off by sign-up forms or costs? Take this 5 min survey to help improve construction knowledge.
These are attached to land that is the subject of a planning permission, and used to compensate for negative impacts.
ICE Scotland launch its new report for a long-term, holistic approach to infrastructure planning and funding.
Building surveys provide a detailed evaluation of a property's condition and involve an extensive inspection.
Government announces additional £2m funding for councils to tackle rogue landlords.
Maintenance is the process of ensuring that buildings retain a good appearance and operate at optimum efficiency.
Andrew Wyllie CBE, the CEO of Costain, becomes the 154th ICE President.