- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 22 Sep 2020
Pre-contract meeting for construction contracts
The pre-contract meeting is an important meeting that takes place after the contractor has been appointed but before work commences on site. It is an opportunity for the project team to meet (perhaps for the first time) and to plan the construction stage.
- Make introductions and issue contact details (perhaps a project directory).
- Clarify roles, responsibilities and lines of communication.
- Agree meeting schedules, meeting structures and attendees.
- Hand over outstanding documents (such as insurance certificates and bonds) and issue outstanding information (which may including any variations made since the contract was awarded).
- Issue nomination instructions.
- Discuss the contractor's master programme, including incorporation of works outside of the main contract, inspections, commissioning and testing.
- Discuss the role of the project team members (including site inspectors).
- Agree procedures for monitoring, issuing, receiving and reviewing information (including the information release schedule if there is one, and its relationship with the contractor's master programme). This may include a distribution matrix.
- Agree site access procedures and issues.
- Agree site induction procedures and other health and safety issues.
- Agree procedures for dealing with queries.
- Agree procedures for issuing instructions.
- Hand over contractor's procurement schedule.
- Mobilisation schedule and status.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Construction phase plan.
- Contract administrator.
- Contract documents.
- Contract negotiations.
- Contract strategy.
- Contractor's master programme.
- Handover to contractor.
- Health and safety.
- Information release schedule.
- Pre-contract management.
- Site inspectors.
- Site layout plan.
- Site waste management plan.
Featured articles and news
Prioritising tax considerations.
The four D creative process: discover, define, develop and deliver.
National Cyber Security Centre initiative is announced.
Reviewing trends and projections.
Legislation will establish initiatives to move towards net zero.
How to document contractor employment status.
Tech tools to help manage people and space post-pandemic.
A style that ranges from mock Tudor to arts and crafts to the 'Wrenaissance'.
Free guide from Secured by Design.
BREEAM strategy for sustainability and the circular economy.
Free tool to improve the construction programming process.
Are buildings doing what they're supposed to be doing?
Cities with quick access to everything by foot or bike.
The pressures and pinch points of global destinations.