- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 04 Feb 2020
Pre-contract meeting for construction contracts
The pre-contract meeting is an important meeting that takes place after the contractor has been appointed but before work commences on site. It is an opportunity to for the project team to meet (perhaps for the first time) and to plan the construction stage.
- Make introductions and issue contact details (perhaps a project directory).
- Clarify roles, responsibilities and lines of communication.
- Agree meeting schedules, meeting structures and attendees.
- Hand over outstanding documents (such as insurance certificates and bonds) and issue outstanding information (which may including any variations made since the contract was awarded).
- Issue nomination instructions.
- Discuss the contractor's master programme, including incorporation of works outside of the main contract, inspections, commissioning and testing.
- Discuss the role of the project team members (including site inspectors).
- Agree procedures for monitoring, issuing, receiving and reviewing information (including the information release schedule if there is one, and its relationship with the contractor's master programme). This may include a distribution matrix.
- Agree site access procedures and issues.
- Agree site induction procedures and other health and safety issues.
- Agree procedures for dealing with queries.
- Agree procedures for issuing instructions.
- Hand over contractor's procurement schedule.
- Mobilisation schedule and status.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
ECA backs call for a rolling programme of rail electrification.
What does 'curtilage' mean and why does it matter?
Our duty to prevent harm and protect each other.
A quality perspective.
If buildings were people, they would be just starting to walk on two legs.
Air filtration and clean air standards.
The Dukes of Normandy and the second world war.
Conserving structures in historic designed landscapes.
Online platform to showcase acoustic solutions.
The drivers of value and how it is measured.
Do you know your Ionic from your Doric?