- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 05 Dec 2021
Pre-contract meeting for construction contracts
The pre-contract meeting is an important meeting that takes place after the contractor has been appointed but before work commences on site. It is an opportunity for the project team to meet (perhaps for the first time) and to plan the construction stage.
- Make introductions and issue contact details (perhaps a project directory).
- Clarify roles, responsibilities and lines of communication.
- Agree meeting schedules, meeting structures and attendees.
- Hand over outstanding documents (such as insurance certificates and bonds) and issue outstanding information (which may including any variations made since the contract was awarded).
- Issue nomination instructions.
- Discuss the contractor's master programme, including incorporation of works outside of the main contract, inspections, commissioning and testing.
- Discuss the role of the project team members (including site inspectors).
- Agree procedures for monitoring, issuing, receiving and reviewing information (including the information release schedule if there is one, and its relationship with the contractor's master programme). This may include a distribution matrix.
- Agree site access procedures and issues.
- Agree site induction procedures and other health and safety issues.
- Agree procedures for dealing with queries.
- Agree procedures for issuing instructions.
- Hand over contractor's procurement schedule.
- Mobilisation schedule and status.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Construction phase plan.
- Contract administrator.
- Contract documents.
- Contract negotiations.
- Contract strategy.
- Contractor's master programme.
- Handover to contractor.
- Health and safety.
- Information release schedule.
- Pre-contract management.
- Site inspectors.
- Site layout plan.
- Site waste management plan.
Featured articles and news
CIOB consultation seeks feedback on APPG 2020 report.
How to respond to changes made in the October 2021 update.
Resource provides professional installation assistance.
Adaptive planning proposal spans 15 years.
Activities summarised by the Construction Industry Council.
How Islamic architecture shaped Europe. Book review.
The campaign to preserve a rare blacksmith bridge.
Transitional options for the next generation of heating technologies.
Additional support being offered to job seekers with autism.