Consultant team start-up meeting
A consultant team start-up meeting should be held when members of the consultant team are appointed, before they begin work. It should be chaired by the client and attended by the consultant team. It is possible that consultants will not all be appointed at the same time, so it may be necessary to hold more than one start-up meeting.
The start-up meeting is an opportunity to:
- Introduce the parties to be involved, explain responsibilities and exchange contact details.
- Describe the organisational structure that will be adopted.
- Issue and discuss site information.
- Issue and discuss the preliminary business case (if appropriate).
- Issue and discuss the strategic brief.
- Issue and discuss the project execution plan.
- Agree working methods such as; methods of communication, means for reporting, approvals and decision making processes (consultants can sometimes programme client decisions into their work without first establishing that the programme suits the client), drawing protocols and standards, collaborative practices, document control strategies and so on.
- Discuss procurement options and tendering restrictions (such as OJEU procurement rules).
- Discuss CDM and other legislative obligations.
- Identify any additional members of the consultant team, specialist designers, specialist contractors or independent client advisers who should be appointed.
- Discuss the programme.
- Identify immediate tasks to be undertaken.
- Agree meeting schedules.
- Discuss the application of VAT.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Green paper published for consultation.
Mental health issues effect 80% of construction workers. Read our interview with the founders of a new wellbeing initiative.
Would Stephenson be disappointed by the lack of progress on the high speed transport of Hyperloop?
The immersive pop-up cinema experience that could revolutionise on-site health and safety training.
5 out of 10 filtering facepieces fail HSE tests.
Eleven Magazine announce the winner and runners-up in their Moontopia competition.
As January is the time for hitting the gym, Designing Buildings Wiki lists the best gym architecture in the world.
London is at the top of the list of global construction megacities, beating Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
What are the innovative business models of the future, and how to incentivise supply chains to work on a whole life basis?