- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 07 Oct 2020
Consultant team start-up meeting
A consultant team start-up meeting should be held when members of the consultant team are appointed, before they begin work. It should be chaired by the client and attended by the consultant team. It is possible that consultants will not all be appointed at the same time, so it may be necessary to hold more than one start-up meeting.
The start-up meeting is an opportunity to:
- Introduce the parties to be involved, explain responsibilities and exchange contact details.
- Describe the organisational structure that will be adopted.
- Issue and discuss site information.
- Issue and discuss the preliminary business case (if appropriate).
- Issue and discuss the strategic brief.
- Issue and discuss the project execution plan.
- Agree working methods such as; methods of communication, means for reporting, approvals and decision making processes (consultants can sometimes programme client decisions into their work without first establishing that the programme suits the client), drawing protocols and standards, collaborative practices, document control strategies and so on.
- Discuss procurement options and tendering restrictions (such as OJEU procurement rules).
- Discuss CDM and other legislative obligations.
- Identify any additional members of the consultant team, specialist designers, specialist contractors or independent client advisers who should be appointed.
- Discuss the programme.
- Identify immediate tasks to be undertaken.
- Agree meeting schedules.
- Discuss the application of VAT.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Heritage on the edge?
Prioritising tax considerations.
The four D creative process: discover, define, develop and deliver.
National Cyber Security Centre initiative is announced.
Reviewing trends and projections.
Legislation will establish initiatives to move towards net zero.
How to document contractor employment status.
Tech tools to help manage people and space post-pandemic.
A style that ranges from mock Tudor to arts and crafts to the 'Wrenaissance'.
Free guide from Secured by Design.
BREEAM strategy for sustainability and the circular economy.
Free tool to improve the construction programming process.
Are buildings doing what they're supposed to be doing?
Cities with quick access to everything by foot or bike.