- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 25 Oct 2016
Consultant team start-up meeting
A consultant team start-up meeting should be held when members of the consultant team are appointed, before they begin work. It should be chaired by the client and attended by the consultant team. It is possible that consultants will not all be appointed at the same time, so it may be necessary to hold more than one start-up meeting.
The start-up meeting is an opportunity to:
- Introduce the parties to be involved, explain responsibilities and exchange contact details.
- Describe the organisational structure that will be adopted.
- Issue and discuss site information.
- Issue and discuss the preliminary business case (if appropriate).
- Issue and discuss the strategic brief.
- Issue and discuss the project execution plan.
- Agree working methods such as; methods of communication, means for reporting, approvals and decision making processes (consultants can sometimes programme client decisions into their work without first establishing that the programme suits the client), drawing protocols and standards, collaborative practices, document control strategies and so on.
- Discuss procurement options and tendering restrictions (such as OJEU procurement rules).
- Discuss CDM and other legislative obligations.
- Identify any additional members of the consultant team, specialist designers, specialist contractors or independent client advisers who should be appointed.
- Discuss the programme.
- Identify immediate tasks to be undertaken.
- Agree meeting schedules.
- Discuss the application of VAT.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
A vision for digital highways
Finding stone to conserve historic buildings.
If it is not planned properly even a simple activity can kill.
A disgruntled or ignored stakeholder can easily derail your hard work.
Next generation cementitious materials
Still going strong...one of the great buildings of the 20th century.
Review of the bible for heritage assets and their management.
The David Lloyd Lymington Sports Village was 'Commended' in CIAT's 2018 AT Awards.
How do we make the smart city a reality?
Sir Nicholas Grimshaw has been awarded the UK’s highest honour for architecture.
Protecting the construction industry from Brexit.
Conceiving buildings collaboratively, testing them virtually.
Effective collaboration in post-disaster response and recovery