- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 18 Sep 2019
Independent principal consultant
An independent principal consultant (IPC) maybe appointed by a client on a building project to offer impartial advice and assistance that is in addition to that offered by the client’s design team. The independent principal consultant normally has no affiliation with either the client or the design team.
- RIBA Client Advisers
- Cost consultants
- Business management consultants
- Project managers
- Project monitors
- Land agents
- Information and communications technology consultants
- Media consultants
- Planning consultants
- Site inspectors (clerk of works).
The IPC can offer impartial advice both to the client and the design team in order to achieve best practice and value for money, health and safety, sustainability and so on. The IPC offers the client a second opinion on all matters related to the project and this may result in a client going against the wishes of the design team.
See also: Independent client adviser.
- Helping to prepare a construction phase plan;
- Advising on compliance with site-based health and safety requirements and other safety matters;
- Assisting with the design of temporary works to CDM regulations;
- Offering design advisory services on design and build contracts;
- Providing guidance on compliance with regulations;
- Helping produce risk assessments and method statements (RAMS);
- Undertaking site inspections during construction to give an independent assessment, and
- Providing construction-based training to improve workforce competence.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
How to write them and what they should include.
Five outstanding aspects of the profession.
The seismic strengthening of historic churches.
Results show guarded optimism and payment concerns.
Noteworthy navigable aqueducts.
Technology is making remote work a reality.
Carefully placed structures add drama to pastoral vistas.
Report provides actions required by 2030 to achieve a zero carbon economy.
What type of cool roof is most suitable?
Active Travel programme prioritises cyclists and pedestrians.
CIAT issues caution for use of new standard.
Industry leaders discuss climate change, the economy and other influences.