- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 18 Sep 2019
Independent principal consultant
An independent principal consultant (IPC) maybe appointed by a client on a building project to offer impartial advice and assistance that is in addition to that offered by the client’s design team. The independent principal consultant normally has no affiliation with either the client or the design team.
- RIBA Client Advisers
- Cost consultants
- Business management consultants
- Project managers
- Project monitors
- Land agents
- Information and communications technology consultants
- Media consultants
- Planning consultants
- Site inspectors (clerk of works).
The IPC can offer impartial advice both to the client and the design team in order to achieve best practice and value for money, health and safety, sustainability and so on. The IPC offers the client a second opinion on all matters related to the project and this may result in a client going against the wishes of the design team.
See also: Independent client adviser.
- Helping to prepare a construction phase plan;
- Advising on compliance with site-based health and safety requirements and other safety matters;
- Assisting with the design of temporary works to CDM regulations;
- Offering design advisory services on design and build contracts;
- Providing guidance on compliance with regulations;
- Helping produce risk assessments and method statements (RAMS);
- Undertaking site inspections during construction to give an independent assessment, and
- Providing construction-based training to improve workforce competence.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
1 minute read.
An alternative to secondary ventilation stacks in tall buildings.
How to deliver the infrastructure the country needs.
Protecting employees from hearing damage.
One of the largest office buildings in the world.
Who holds the risk for COVID-19?
Insights from New York.
A quick introduction to a very complicated subject.
CIOB suggests the economic reach of construction is double the official figures.
The first US building to achieve BREEAM Outstanding In-Use.
70 buildings from 70 years of Concrete Quarterly. Book review.