- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 18 Sep 2019
Independent principal consultant
An independent principal consultant (IPC) maybe appointed by a client on a building project to offer impartial advice and assistance that is in addition to that offered by the client’s design team. The independent principal consultant normally has no affiliation with either the client or the design team.
- RIBA Client Advisers
- Cost consultants
- Business management consultants
- Project managers
- Project monitors
- Land agents
- Information and communications technology consultants
- Media consultants
- Planning consultants
- Site inspectors (clerk of works).
The IPC can offer impartial advice both to the client and the design team in order to achieve best practice and value for money, health and safety, sustainability and so on. The IPC offers the client a second opinion on all matters related to the project and this may result in a client going against the wishes of the design team.
See also: Independent client adviser.
- Helping to prepare a construction phase plan;
- Advising on compliance with site-based health and safety requirements and other safety matters;
- Assisting with the design of temporary works to CDM regulations;
- Offering design advisory services on design and build contracts;
- Providing guidance on compliance with regulations;
- Helping produce risk assessments and method statements (RAMS);
- Undertaking site inspections during construction to give an independent assessment, and
- Providing construction-based training to improve workforce competence.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Six technologies guiding O&M into the future.
Homes carved from sandstone cliffs in England.
A review of the HES pilot project.
Organisation alerts membership to findings of IHBC research.
Four outstanding professionals recognised.
Sustainable flooring from super strong grass.
Organisation presents reactions from industry leaders.
New infrastructure bank to be based in the North of England.
Fairer, faster, greener. A summary of the key points.
Strategies to help provide safer working conditions.
Protecting flora, fauna and the other natural features of Scotland.
Architecture considered somewhere between 'sublime and beautiful'.
Polish piano factory revived through an energy-oriented tune up.