- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 03 Jan 2021
- Autocratic leaders make managerial decisions by themselves. They tell their employees what they want done and how they want it accomplished, without getting the advice of their followers.
- Consultive autocrats use information from the members, but keep all substantive decision-making authority to themselves.
- Consensus managers tend to throw open the problem to the group for discussion and allow or encourage the group to make the decision.
- Shareholder managers, give the group the ultimate authority for the final decision.
Forces such as time availability, the type of the task, information availability and team members ability and skills should influence the style adopted. Slevin (1983) suggests ‘…the key to successful leadership is knowing what your dominant style is and being able to modify that style depending upon the contingencies of the various leadership situations that you face’.
In modern management there has been a change from dealing with problems on a one-on-one basis to solving problems collectively, involving everyone who has a contribution to make. This concept is known as 'shared leadership'. As the complexity of knowledge increases, the need for shared leadership also increases.
Shared leadership is about letting the project team take over as much of the leadership role as they will accept. The project manager lets go of some authority and shares it with the team. As the team members assume more of the leadership role, they show increased willingness to participate in problem solving.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- Can relationships in and between organisations make tangible differences to business performance?
- Collaborative practices.
- Collaboration: a quality management perspective.
- Five ways mentoring can benefit a career.
- Integrated project team.
- Integrated supply team.
- Performance management plan.
- Project manager.
- Recruiting and retaining talent in the construction industry.
- Relationship management.
- Team behavioural roles.
- Team building.
- Team management (repeats some of the text in this article).
- Total quality management in construction.
 External references
Featured articles and news
Smart motorway strategies.
Actuate UK urges change of deadline to at least December 2022.
Study shows harmful impact of late payments on SME personnel.
Upcoming changes to the commercial supply and purchase of chemicals.
CLC introduces card for learners.
CIOB members recognised for public procurement.
Experts discuss the complex issues damaging the supply chain.
The co-founder of Get Kids into Survey discusses career paths for kids.
Report examines lack of detail in the Government's vision.
Our director Gregor Harvie hosts 4 webinars at the IHBC marketplace on Friday.
Look up construction terms on any website direct from your browser.
The revival of the public sphere in Toronto.
The story behind the copycat architecture craze.
Insight into construction materials supply and demand issues.