- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 28 Dec 2020
The term 'power generation' describes the process of generating electrical power. Types of power generation include:
- Fossil fuel thermal energy such as coal or natural gas.
- Biogas energy.
- Geothermal energy.
- Wind energy.
- Solar thermal energy.
- Tidal energy.
- Nuclear energy.
- Chemical energy generated from fuel cells, batteries, and so on.
Power stations are normally located away from centres of population where fossil fuels are abundant or good transport links exist. Many of these locations are well away from the towns and cities where the electricity is used and hence there is a need for electricity transmission and distribution.
The national power supply network is managed by four types of organisation:
- Generators - responsible for producing the electricity.
- Suppliers - responsible for supply and selling electricity to consumers.
- Transmission network - responsible for the transmission of electricity across the country.
- Distributors - those who own and operate the local distribution network from the national transmission network to homes and businesses.
- Solar photovoltaic panels.
- Wind turbines.
- Water turbines.
- Anaerobic digestion (biogas energy).
- Micro combined heat and power (micro-CHP).
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Building an electrical grid for our times.
- Dispatchable generation.
- Electricity supply.
- Energy consumption.
- Energy storage.
- Fossil fuel.
- Oil - a global perspective.
- Renewable energy.
- Solar photovoltaics.
- The future of UK power generation.
- Types of fuel.
Featured articles and news
Gaining green support from the carbon giants.
Medieval passageways with spiritual, transport and economic purposes.
Organisation receives accreditation from Investors in People.
Click the button to subscribe.
Communicating the right information at the right time.
Materials can take on different properties to control heat and glare.
Challenges in the construction sector and beyond.
Exploring brick and timber construction techniques.
On wheels or on platforms, micro dwellings are popping up everywhere.
Landlords must now comply with new repair regulations.
You can add articles and help improve knowledge in the construction industry.
Ayo Sokale explains the struggles of being neurodiverse.
Communities, heritage and architecture. Book review.
The voluntary sector continues to shape the debate.