- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 05 Feb 2020
The term 'power generation' describes the process of generating electrical power. Types of power generation include:
- Fossil fuel thermal energy such as coal or natural gas.
- Biogas energy.
- Geothermal energy.
- Wind energy.
- Solar thermal energy.
- Tidal energy.
- Nuclear energy.
- Chemical energy generated from fuel cells, batteries, and so on.
Power stations are normally located away from centres of population where fossil fuels are abundant or good transport links exist. Many of these locations are well away from the towns and cities where the electricity is used and hence there is a need for electricity transmission and distribution.
The national power supply network is managed by four types of organisation:
- Generators - responsible for producing the electricity.
- Suppliers - responsible for supply and selling electricity to consumers.
- Transmission network - responsible for the transmission of electricity across the country.
- Distributors - those who own and operate the local distribution network from the national transmission network to homes and businesses.
- Solar photovoltaic panels.
- Wind turbines.
- Water turbines.
- Anaerobic digestion (biogas energy).
- Micro combined heat and power (micro-CHP).
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Building an electrical grid for our times.
- Electricity supply.
- Energy consumption.
- Energy storage.
- Fossil fuel.
- Oil - a global perspective.
- Renewable energy.
- Solar photovoltaics.
- The future of UK power generation.
- Types of fuel.
Featured articles and news
The role of HVAC systems in the safe return to work.
CLC provides guidance related to product marks, post-Brexit.
Net zero goals incorporated into plans for a new European Bauhaus.
BREEAM offers its resilient approach to Building Back Better.
Country moves one step closer to creating independent body.
BSRIA examines factors driving the industry.
Ensuring designs are developed, validated and can be effectively implemented.
The Homebuyer Survey most suitable for newer homes or simple properties.
Health and safety practices for body and mind.
28 leading bodies set out their vision for the future.
Chancellor announces latest Winter Support packages.
Tapping technology to boost infrastructure and create jobs.
4 ways to ensure certificates are valid.
White elephant construction projects.