- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 25 May 2021
The term 'power generation' describes the process of generating electrical power. Types of power generation include:
- Fossil fuel thermal energy such as coal or natural gas.
- Biogas energy.
- Geothermal energy.
- Wind energy.
- Solar thermal energy.
- Tidal energy.
- Nuclear energy.
- Chemical energy generated from fuel cells, batteries, and so on.
Power stations are normally located away from centres of population where fossil fuels are abundant or good transport links exist. Many of these locations are well away from the towns and cities where the electricity is used and hence there is a need for electricity transmission and distribution.
The national power supply network is managed by four types of organisation:
- Generators - responsible for producing the electricity.
- Suppliers - responsible for supply and selling electricity to consumers.
- Transmission network - responsible for the transmission of electricity across the country.
- Distributors - those who own and operate the local distribution network from the national transmission network to homes and businesses.
- Solar photovoltaic panels.
- Wind turbines.
- Water turbines.
- Anaerobic digestion (biogas energy).
- Micro combined heat and power (micro-CHP).
NB Net Zero by 2050, A Roadmap for the Global Energy Sector, published by the International Energy Agency in May 2021, suggests that power generation: ‘Refers to fuel use in electricity plants, heat plants and combined heat and power (CHP) plants. Both main activity producer plants and small plants that produce fuel for their own use (auto-producers) are included.’
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Building an electrical grid for our times.
- Dispatchable generation.
- Electricity supply.
- Energy consumption.
- Energy storage.
- Fossil fuel.
- Oil - a global perspective.
- Renewable energy.
- Solar photovoltaics.
- The future of UK power generation.
- Types of fuel.
Featured articles and news
CIOB members recognised for public procurement.
Experts discuss the complex issues damaging the supply chain.
The co-founder of Get Kids into Survey discusses career paths for kids.
Report examines lack of detail in the Government's vision.
Our director Gregor Harvie hosts 4 webinars at the IHBC marketplace on Friday.
Look up construction terms on any website direct from your browser.
The revival of the public sphere in Toronto.
The story behind the copycat architecture craze.
Insight into construction materials supply and demand issues.
IHBC has announced winners of the 2020 honours.
Cement and concrete industry introduces measures to go beyond net zero.
UKGBC has introduced a resource to help with sustainability challenges.
Is it time to embrace EVs at last?
Plaster, glue and dye produce a highly decorative effect.