- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 15 Feb 2019
NHBC technical standards 2014
The National House Building Council (NHBC) is an independent regulator for the new homes industry. It is the UK’s leading standard-setting body and provider of insurance and warranties for newly-built homes. It is also the largest single approved inspector for the building regulations.
NHBC standards set technical requirements, performance standards and guidance for the design and construction of houses that are acceptable to the NHBC. They are available to download online, along with guidance notes, videos and other supplementary material for each section.
The 2014 standards are applicable to every NHBC registered home with foundations that was started on, or after the 1 January 2014, but before 1 January 2016. For homes started on or after 1 January 2016, see the NHBC technical standards 2016.
The 2014 standards are split into 10 parts with each one covering a particular aspect:
Part 1: General information:
- 1.1 Introduction to Standards and Technical Requirements.
- 1.2 A consistent approach to finishes.
- 1.3 No longer allocated.
- 1.4 Cold weather working.
Part 2: Materials:
- 2.1 Concrete and its reinforcement.
- 2.2 No longer allocated.
- 2.3 Timber preservation (natural solid timber).
Part 3: Ancillary technologies:
Part 4: Foundations:
- 4.1 Land quality – managing ground conditions.
- 4.2 Building near trees.
- 4.3 No longer allocated.
- 4.4 Strip and trench fill foundations.
- 4.5 Raft, pile, pier and beam foundations.
- 4.6 Vibratory ground improvement techniques.
- 6.1 External masonry walls.
- 6.2 External timber framed walls.
- 6.3 Internal walls.
- 6.4 Timber and concrete upper floors.
- 6.5 Steelwork.
- 6.6 Staircases.
- 6.7 Doors, windows and glazing.
- 6.8 Fireplaces, chimneys and flues.
- 6.9 Curtain walling and cladding.
- 6.10 Light steel framed walls and roofs.
Part 7: Roofs:
Part 8: Services and internal finishing:
- 8.1 Internal services.
- 8.2 Wall and ceiling finishes.
- 8.3 Floor finishes.
- 8.4 Finishings and fitments.
- 8.5 Painting and decorating.
Part 9: External works
Part 10: No longer allocated.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- British standards.
- Building regulations.
- Code for sustainable homes.
- Home quality mark.
- Lifetime homes.
- NHBC Standards 2019.
- NHBC technical standards 2016.
- Zero carbon homes.
 External references
Featured articles and news
Civil engineers can lead the way.
Cutting-edge tech pairs with building management systems.
BSRIA updates its assessment of the industry.
What happens when it all goes wrong?
Input being gathered by CIOB.
Changes proposed for MHCLG consultation on house building statistics.
Full of passion and acerbic wit. 1 min book review.
Reminding us what is possible.
Five signs you are at risk.
Biotechnology as it applies to the built environment.
Stopping sound coming through windows.
Government response to the Building a Safer Future consultation.
Energy savings quickly payback any small additional capital investment.