- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 19 Nov 2020
NHBC technical standards 2014
The National House Building Council (NHBC) is an independent regulator for the new homes industry. It is the UK’s leading standard-setting body and provider of insurance and warranties for newly-built homes. It is also the largest single approved inspector for the building regulations.
NHBC standards set technical requirements, performance standards and guidance for the design and construction of houses that are acceptable to the NHBC. They are available to download online, along with guidance notes, videos and other supplementary material for each section.
The 2014 standards are applicable to every NHBC registered home with foundations that was started on, or after the 1 January 2014, but before 1 January 2016. For homes started on or after 1 January 2016, see the NHBC technical standards 2016.
Part 1: General information:
- 1.1 Introduction to Standards and Technical Requirements.
- 1.2 A consistent approach to finishes.
- 1.3 No longer allocated.
- 1.4 Cold weather working.
Part 2: Materials:
- 2.1 Concrete and its reinforcement.
- 2.2 No longer allocated.
- 2.3 Timber preservation (natural solid timber).
Part 3: Ancillary technologies:
- 4.1 Land quality – managing ground conditions.
- 4.2 Building near trees.
- 4.3 No longer allocated.
- 4.4 Strip and trench fill foundations.
- 4.5 Raft, pile, pier and beam foundations.
- 4.6 Vibratory ground improvement techniques.
- 6.1 External masonry walls.
- 6.2 External timber framed walls.
- 6.3 Internal walls.
- 6.4 Timber and concrete upper floors.
- 6.5 Steelwork.
- 6.6 Staircases.
- 6.7 Doors, windows and glazing.
- 6.8 Fireplaces, chimneys and flues.
- 6.9 Curtain walling and cladding.
- 6.10 Light steel framed walls and roofs.
- 8.1 Internal services.
- 8.2 Wall and ceiling finishes.
- 8.3 Floor finishes.
- 8.4 Finishings and fitments.
- 8.5 Painting and decorating.
Part 10: No longer allocated.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- British standards.
- Building regulations.
- Code for sustainable homes.
- Home quality mark.
- Lifetime homes.
- NHBC Standards 2019.
- NHBC technical standards 2016.
- Zero carbon homes.
 External references
Featured articles and news
Will the way we heat homes change when winter comes ?
Can XR technology be leveraged in design & construction?
Or are you capping.
Digital gaming competition for UK students aged 16 to 18.
Heritage protection in England vs Australia.
Three-quarters of fire doors fail inspections
The role of geoparks, biospheres and world heritage sites.
Just one month to go ! Find out more here.
A new gallery for the University of Huddersfield.
What will it take to stop it ?
To celebrate world bee day 2022 !
Not forgetting part F and the new part overheating part O.
As energy prices jump up in cost.
With people in the UK from Ukraine.
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targeted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.
How has transport changed due to Covid-19 ?
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?
Create an account and write the first of many articles.