- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 30 Nov 2020
NHBC Standards 2019
The NHBC Standards give the technical requirements, performance standards and guidance for the design and construction of new homes acceptable to NHBC (National House Building Council). NHBC provide a range of supplementary technical information, videos and 3D models to support the Standards.
The 2019 NHBC Standards came into force for every new home registered with NHBC where foundations were begun on or after 1 January 2019. View NHBC Standards 2019 online using the Standards Plus solution.
NHBC Standards 2019 includes:
- Changes to Chapter 6.10 ‘Light steel framing’ to support advances in the use of this technology and define our guidance for structural frames and infill walls.
- Chapter 8.1 ‘Internal services’ - revised guidance on the use of combination boilers.
- Chapter 6.2 ‘External timber framed walls’ - we now accept timber frame designs from manufacturers achieving Gold level status from the Structural Timber Association’s ‘Assure Scheme’ without the need for further review or completing a HB2445 form.
The following minor technical changes have been made to Standards 2019:
- Ch 5.4.7b - amended to clarify maximum permissible crack widths in structural concrete waterproofing
- Ch 6.4.9 - updated to reflect the guidance in BS EN 1995-1-1 for deflection and vibration limits
- Ch 6.11.7c - amended to clarify where weepholes should be incorporated in rendered walls
- Ch 7.2.19 - amended to recognise that plastic roof clips are acceptable to NHBC
- Ch 7.2.19a - amended to align with BS 5534 where smaller hip tiles do not require mechanical fixing
- Ch 7.2.19a - reference made to BS 8612 ‘Dry fixed ridge, hip, and verge systems for slating and tiling
- Ch 10.2.6a Table 1 - updated guidance for acceptable path widths
- Guidance for light steel internal partitions has been moved to chapter 6.3 ‘Internal walls’
NHBC launched a new online solution for it's Standards plus offering in August 2019, making it easier for users across multiple platforms and those users who are onsite with limited connectivity. View the online Standards Plus solution here
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Managing Partner at Onyx and third gen project manager.
Innovating to move more swiftly and with ease.
Expectation types, management and performance gaps.
Appointments, re-appointments and six changes a year.
Meaning, understanding and implementation.
Kick-start attempts causes 50% jump from December.
From climate to cost to cold bridges and design flexibility.
In a changing world at the APM PM SIG conference.
The glass product that opened up new possibilities.
Campaigning for buildings of all periods.
Full life cycle assessments, impact categories and more.
Get to know the new requirements and the new terms.
Reporting on Payment Practices and Performance Regs.
The ultimate companion for building services excellence.
CIOB joins leading organisations to warn leaders.