- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 04 Mar 2021
LED security lighting
Adding security lighting can help protect property from unwanted intruders. Statistics show that burglars bypass targets that are difficult to access without being noticed. A well-designed security lighting system can make would-be robbers think again.
- Use many smaller lights rather than fewer, more powerful lights. Big, powerful flood lights are good for open spaces, but can sometimes leave shadows if there are obstacles such as buildings and trees. Using a combination of LED flood lights, area lights and wall packs will reduce shadows and blind spots that intruders can use to hide.
- Keep lights high and out of reach. It's important to make it difficult for burglars to tamper with security systems. Even the best security lighting can be rendered useless if an intruder is able to incapacitate the system. Keeping lights high and out of reach will make them difficult to tamper with. Placing lights high will also soften the light for a pleasant look and increased coverage.
- Use motion detector lights. Motion detector lights are an effective way to scare off intruders - having a light flick on as they walk by.
- Focus on entrances and exits. Most criminals seek out targets that can be accessed at night without being seen. Ensuring excellent light coverage at all entrances and exits will deter criminals from planning a robbery at a property.
- Efficiency: LED lights offer exceptional efficiency and are cost-effective in the long run. An LED light fixture will use 90% less electricity than an equivalent incandescent. This is also important if your security lights are forced to run on a backup generator. Less energy draw means your lights will last longer on a limited supply of power.
- Longevity: A quality LED bulb can have a useful life of 25,000 hours or more. This is more than 25 times long than traditional light bulbs.
- Safety: LEDs run cooler than conventional light sources and are therefore less of a hazard.
- Durability: LEDs lack filaments or glass enclosures, making them more durable than traditional alternatives.
- Colour: LEDs can achieve the same colors as traditional bulbs. Use the Kelvin temperature color scale below to help identify the hue a bulb will produce.
- BREEAM Safety and security.
- Commercial security systems.
- Embedded security: Procuring an effective facility protective security system.
- Home security solutions market.
- Hostile architecture.
- Intruder alarm.
- Outbuildings security.
- SABRE Security Assurance by the Building Research Establishment.
- Secured by design.
- Security and the built environment.
- Security glazing.
- Security Needs Assessment.
- Types of alarm.
- Types of lock.
Featured articles and news
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?
Create an account and write the first of many articles.
CIAT commentary after the first meeting.
Who is to blame?
Research recommends focussing on portfolio success rather than project success.
The revised standard for mapping underground utilities.
Cross-industry steering group seeks support in delivery.
Help us update process pieces from your field.
APM report explores existing practice.
COVID-19 and the importance of mental wellbeing.
As Professionally Qualified Person (PQP).
In order of relevance and with industry responses.
Raising awareness of the impacts of loneliness.
The list is growing, and in more ways than one.
We shouldn’t build new, If we can’t maintain what's built.
Timber Accelerator Hub phase 1 report