Enabling works for construction
This could include:
- Site clearance.
- Tree protection.
- Diversion and / or disconnection of existing site services.
- Geotechnical and exploratory ground investigation.
- Decoupling from existing buildings.
- Ground improvement and / or compaction.
- Excavation of known below-ground obstructions.
- Survey work.
- Creation of access routes.
- Perimeter fencing and security provisions.
- Work to neighbouring buildings.
- Discharging planning conditions that must be satisfied prior to construction commencing.
- Historical architectural investigation fieldwork.
- Access ramps.
- Signage provisions.
- Provision of statutory utilities to the site.
Enabling works might be preceded by 'mobilisation' activities, carried out after the client has selected the contractor, but before works commence on site. These are preparatory activities, such as; preparing method statements, arranging road closures, placing necessary sub-contracts and so on. See mobilisation for more information.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
This article explains the Buildings Regulations completion certificate, what it is, and when its needed.
Graphene has many potential applications, but when will it start being used in civil engineering?
Increasing productivity – now more than ever as we lead up to Brexit – should be the sector’s number one priority in 2018.
Carillion's collapse causes Construction Leadership Council to delay the construction sector deal report.
Urban Heritage, Development and Sustainability: international frameworks, national and local guidance.
What will the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) mean for you when they come into force in May?
Business Secretary chairs a new taskforce to monitor and advise on mitigating the impacts of Carillion’s liquidation.
Sir John Armitt is appointed the new chair of the National Infrastructure Commission.
High quality and high density homes - is it what we need or is it storing up trouble?
Government announces its intention to strengthen planning rules to protect music venues and neighbours.
National Audit Office reports that there is little evidence that PFI offers better value than other forms of contracting.
What is liquidation and how does it apply to contractors in the construction industry?