Enabling works for construction
This could include:
- Site clearance.
- Tree protection.
- Diversion and / or disconnection of existing site services.
- Geotechnical and exploratory ground investigation.
- Decoupling from existing buildings.
- Ground improvement and / or compaction.
- Excavation of known below-ground obstructions.
- Survey work.
- Creation of access routes.
- Perimeter fencing and security provisions.
- Work to neighbouring buildings.
- Discharging planning conditions that must be satisfied prior to construction commencing.
- Historical architectural investigation fieldwork.
- Access ramps.
- Signage provisions.
- Provision of statutory utilities to the site.
Enabling works might be preceded by 'mobilisation' activities, carried out after the client has selected the contractor, but before works commence on site. These are preparatory activities, such as; preparing method statements, arranging road closures, placing necessary sub-contracts and so on. See mobilisation for more information.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Read about RSHP's British Museum extension which has been shortlisted for the 2017 Stirling Prize.
Read our introductory article to building a house extension.
More updates from DCMS about the large-scale testing of cladding systems and the number of buildings affected.
UandI secure resolution to grant planning consent for major new regeneration project.
IHBC article considers how heritage is dealt with when infrastructure schemes are authorised.
It was the tallest structure in the world for 3,800 years, but to this day the exact construction techniques are a mystery.
Shortlist for the industry's most coveted award announced.
Government responds to Mark Farmer's review of industry, rejecting the call for a levy on clients.
Peter Hansford to examine what wider lessons can be learned from the fire.
Every project is subject to uncertainty. How can construction better understand uncertainty for performance improvement?
MAD Architects reveal their designs for a futuristic campus for electric car manufacturer.
Homebuyers could borrow more with better forecasting of energy bills, according to industry consortium's new report.
Read our introductory article on carbon capture and storage.