- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 05 Jul 2021
Early appointment of O&M providers
On a typical construction project, the main contractor has between 30 – 40 subcontractors to procure and manage. Procurement is largely driven by the construction plan which means an O&M provider (Operation and Maintenance) is often appointed late in the project.
This creates a problem as the time it takes to collate and review 30 – 40 O&M submissions should not be underestimated. Condensing this activity into a few weeks or months before practical completion (PC) gives the contractor, supply chain and O&M provider little time to manage the task properly. Ultimately, this can lead to project delays or the risk of incomplete O&Ms at PC.
- Added cost for O&Ms not previously budgeted for.
- Trades already left site and fully paid.
- No standardisation across O&M submissions.
- Increased pressure on site teams close to PC.
- Risk of missing or incomplete O&M submissions.
- Unhappy end client.
O&M templates can be included in trade contracts to ensure a standardised format is followed. Managing trades as they start on site gives enough time to conduct a thorough review process and makes sure a complete and accurate set of O&Ms is delivered at PC.
 Benefits of early engagement
- Cost certainty – a realistic budget for O&Ms in the cost plan.
- O&M templates in contract documents.
- Free up valuable site resource.
- Trades managed as and when they start on site.
- Plenty of time to conduct a thorough O&M review.
- Smooth, pain free handover at PC.
- Happy client with a complete and accurate as-built record.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Design needs to be more diverse to be widely accessible.
It’s not always a case of the centre leading.
PHribbon toolbar developed for US market.
CIOB consultation seeks feedback on APPG 2020 report.
How to respond to changes made in the October 2021 update.
Resource provides professional installation assistance.
Adaptive planning proposal spans 15 years.
Activities summarised by the Construction Industry Council.
How Islamic architecture shaped Europe. Book review.