- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 04 Feb 2020
Early appointment of O&M providers
On a typical construction project, the main contractor has between 30 – 40 subcontractors to procure and manage. Procurement is largely driven by the construction plan which means an O&M provider (Operation and Maintenance) is often appointed late in the project.
This creates a problem as the time it takes to collate and review 30 – 40 O&M submissions should not be underestimated. Condensing this activity into a few weeks or months before practical completion (PC) gives the contractor, supply chain and O&M provider little time to manage the task properly. Ultimately, this can lead to project delays or the risk of incomplete O&Ms at PC.
 Issues with late engagement
- Added cost for O&Ms not previously budgeted for.
- Trades already left site and fully paid.
- No standardisation across O&M submissions.
- Increased pressure on site teams close to PC.
- Risk of missing or incomplete O&M submissions.
- Unhappy end client.
O&M templates can be included in trade contracts to ensure a standardised format is followed. Managing trades as they start on site gives enough time to conduct a thorough review process and makes sure a complete and accurate set of O&Ms is delivered at PC.
 Benefits of early engagement
- Cost certainty – a realistic budget for O&Ms in the cost plan.
- O&M templates in contract documents.
- Free up valuable site resource.
- Trades managed as and when they start on site.
- Plenty of time to conduct a thorough O&M review.
- Smooth, pain free handover at PC.
- Happy client with a complete and accurate as-built record.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
The seismic strengthening of historic churches.
Results show guarded optimism and payment concerns.
Noteworthy navigable aqueducts.
Technology is making remote work a reality.
Carefully placed structures add drama to pastoral vistas.
Report provides actions required by 2030 to achieve a zero carbon economy.
What type of cool roof is most suitable?
Active Travel programme prioritises cyclists and pedestrians.
CIAT issues caution for use of new standard.
Industry leaders discuss climate change, the economy and other influences.
The building manager is key to operations.
The impact Scotland’s dynamic coast has on the historic environment.