- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 27 Feb 2021
Early appointment of O&M providers
On a typical construction project, the main contractor has between 30 – 40 subcontractors to procure and manage. Procurement is largely driven by the construction plan which means an O&M provider (Operation and Maintenance) is often appointed late in the project.
This creates a problem as the time it takes to collate and review 30 – 40 O&M submissions should not be underestimated. Condensing this activity into a few weeks or months before practical completion (PC) gives the contractor, supply chain and O&M provider little time to manage the task properly. Ultimately, this can lead to project delays or the risk of incomplete O&Ms at PC.
 Issues with late engagement
- Added cost for O&Ms not previously budgeted for.
- Trades already left site and fully paid.
- No standardisation across O&M submissions.
- Increased pressure on site teams close to PC.
- Risk of missing or incomplete O&M submissions.
- Unhappy end client.
O&M templates can be included in trade contracts to ensure a standardised format is followed. Managing trades as they start on site gives enough time to conduct a thorough review process and makes sure a complete and accurate set of O&Ms is delivered at PC.
 Benefits of early engagement
- Cost certainty – a realistic budget for O&Ms in the cost plan.
- O&M templates in contract documents.
- Free up valuable site resource.
- Trades managed as and when they start on site.
- Plenty of time to conduct a thorough O&M review.
- Smooth, pain free handover at PC.
- Happy client with a complete and accurate as-built record.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
IHBC members encouraged to update violations database.
Non-obtrusive security sensors can help deter intruders.
Adopting a fabric first approach to efficiency.
Government emphasises training for construction and engineering trades.
ECA and SELECT offer assistance to members set back by delays.
The virtual learning event examines Historic Places - People Places.
Getting post-pandemic infrastructure on the right track.
One of England's grandest country houses.
Take just two minutes to provide your feedback.
An update of standards and regulations is under consideration.
Exploring the key to the adoption of this abundant energy source.
His clients have ranged from Liberace to St Nick to world-class athletes.