Last edited 19 Jan 2021

Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers CIBSE

Building services engineers plan, design, monitor and inspect systems to make buildings comfortable, functional, efficient and safe. Typically these systems will include heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC), water and drainage, lighting, power, ICT, lifts and escalators, control systems and so on (see building services for more information). In addition, specialist systems such as specialist gas distribution, humidity and bacteria control and so on might be required for complex buildings such as airports, hospitals, factories and laboratories.

In 1976 a Royal Charter amalgamated the Institution of Heating and Ventilating Engineers (founded in 1897) and the Illuminating Engineering Society (founded 1909) to form the Chartered Institution of Building Services. In 1985 this was renamed the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE).

CIBSE suggests that its role is to ‘ the Science, Art and Practice of building services engineering, by providing our members and the public with first class information and education services and promoting the spirit of fellowship which guides our work.'

CIBSE activities include:

In 2005 the CIBSE Board became the governing body. The CIBSE Council is a ‘consultative and representative body… and works with the Board to add value to the governance of the Institution.’

Chartered Engineer (C Eng) status can be granted by CIBSE. Training typically involves a Bachelors (Hons) degree followed by further study or an accredited MEng degree, this is followed by an Engineering Practice Report and then Professional Review Interview. Engineers qualifying by this route can also become members of CIBSE (MCIBSE).

Alternatively an experiential learning route can be taken, followed by an Engineering Practice Report and then a Competence Review Interview (allowing use of the letters MCIBSE). Further study and a Professional Review Interview are then necessary to allow C Eng status to be awarded.

Other qualifications include Incorporated Engineer (IEng) and Engineering Technician (EngTech).

All members are required to practice in accordance with the CIBSE Code of conduct.

[edit] Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki

[edit] External references

Designing Buildings Anywhere

Get the Firefox add-on to access 20,000 definitions direct from any website

Find out more Accept cookies and
don't show me this again