Traditional contract: production information
 Starting the work stage.
The lead consultant co-ordinates a start-up meeting with the client and the consultant team to pass on feedback from the previous stage, agree the programme for the preparation of production information along with its format, identification of work packages, sequencing and co-ordination procedures, including co-ordinating and integrating information from specialist contractors.
There should be a particular emphasis on equipment with long manufacturing times such as switchgear, chiller units, lifts, escalators and bespoke cladding systems, some of which may justify early ordering. The front-end construction work of service diversions, demolition, setting out , underground drainage, piling and groundworks may merit placing of preliminary contracts.
- The possible use of preliminary contracts (for works such as ground exploration, demolition, decontamination or site clearance).
- The possibility of ordering long-lead items (such as switchgear, transformers, or booking piling rigs).
- The form of contract and contract conditions (if this has not already been agreed).
- The nature of warranties and performance bonds that will be required from trade contractors.
- Exclusions from the contract.
- The date of possession and any phasing requirements.
- Tender procedures and the tender period.
- Any client contributions required for the contract documents.
- Insurance of the works.
- The need to appoint site inspectors.
- The need to appoint party wall surveyor(s) or rights of light surveyors.
 Preparing production information and completing statutory approvals.
The lead designer prepares a schedule of information that should be prepared for the production information, responsibilities for its preparation, a programme for its preparation and a document control system for revision control.
The lead designer co-ordinates:
- The preparation and integration of production information. Any gaps in this information that will require specialist input after a tender process should be clearly defined, showing abutment details to adjacent work faces and how such work is integrated into the overall scheme.
- The preparation of schedules of inspections and tests, mock ups and samples.
- The preparation of a draft building user's guide and a building log book.
- The establishment of quality control systems and setting out criteria.
- Outstanding information needed for building regulations and other statutory approvals (such as negotiations with the Highways England, structural calculations, CO2 emission rate and a list of specifications used in the CO2 emission rate calculations) which must be submitted before works start on site.
The lead designer co-ordinates a design review of the production Information with the consultant team and instructs amendments or additions as necessary. The cost consultant assesses any changes relative to the approximate quantities cost plan.
The lead consultant co-ordinates the preparation of a production information report for the client including any remaining components, assemblies, specialist items, samples or materials still requiring approval by client.
Featured articles and news
What is Modernism?
Modernist architecture and its many international variations explained.
BRE support Europe-wide strategic heating plans for local and national authorities.
Work set to begin on 'one of America's greatest parks', which will be 10 times bigger than Central Park.
One of our most popular articles - RSHP's Mike Davies writes about the concept design process.
As Cuba mourn the death of Castro, major renovation of this symbolic landmark may be a reflection of the country's fresh start.
How cannabis plants are used to create an alternative building material with plenty of advantages.
What does Mayor Sadiq Khan's first policy statement mean for London's infrastructure?
Bjarke Ingels Group announced as winners of design competition for new residential landmark in Amsterdam.
Designing Buildings Wiki has reviewed a well-designed and researched set of architecture city maps.
Designing Buildings Wiki attended the second annual Building Live conference, tackling the challenges facing construction.