- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 06 Feb 2019
State of the nation: Digital transformation
The key recommendations of the report are as follows:
- Digital transformation should be at the heart of the infrastructure pillar in government industrial strategy.
- The £23bn National Productivity Investment Fund should be targeted at digital transformation of both construction (digital delivery) and infrastructure (smart infrastructure) to increase capacity and performance of existing assets and networks.
- Regulatory frameworks across all infrastructure sectors should incentivise whole life investment decisions based on the needs of the end user.
- ICE and other professional institutions must work with industry and government to ensure that people at all points in their career have the right skills to adapt.
- Clients, contractors and government should use infrastructure projects, big and small, as incubators for skills and innovation.
- Clients should insist that data is identified, collected, stored and shared in the right way by everyone working on a project as part of the procurement process.
- Cyber and physical security considerations must be at the centre of industry thinking in order to keep up with evolving security threats.
- As infrastructure decisions are increasingly made at local level we need to invest in improving the quality of local asset data. This well help improve understanding of the interdependencies between different assets and how that changes with increased connectivity.
- The National Infrastructure Commission should set out a needs-based strategy to align energy and digital infrastructure policy.
This article was originally published here on 22 Mar 2017 by ICE. It was written by Kelly Forbes.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Articles by ICE on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- Cyber security and engineering.
- Data and infrastructure productivity.
- Digital Built Britain.
- Digital communications and infrastructure dependencies.
- Digital technology.
- Digital transformation - engineers need to keep pace.
- How to gain a competitive edge with digital technologies.
- How to make the digital revolution a success.
- Ripe for transformation, ready for change?
- State of the nation: Devolution.
Featured articles and news
The David Lloyd Lymington Sports Village was 'Commended' in CIAT's 2018 AT Awards.
How do we make the smart city a reality?
Sir Nicholas Grimshaw has been awarded the UK’s highest honour for architecture.
Protecting the construction industry from Brexit.
Conceiving buildings collaboratively, testing them virtually.
Effective collaboration in post-disaster response and recovery
How do you prepare a claim for an extension of time and ensure it isn't rejected?
How innovative ‘design thinking’ may lead to new surface-water solutions.
What will be this year's office design trends?
Enhancing sustainability and resilience in disaster response.
What are EIAs, why are they needed and for which type of project?