- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 09 Aug 2018
State of the nation: Digital transformation
Guided by ICE's steering group, they talked to 350 organisations and individuals, asking them to identify the main blockers and enablers to infrastructure’s digital transformation.
The key recommendations of the report are as follows:
Unlock the productivity potential of digital transformation
- Digital transformation should be at the heart of the infrastructure pillar in government industrial strategy.
- The £23bn National Productivity Investment Fund should be targeted at digital transformation of both construction (digital delivery) and infrastructure (smart infrastructure) to increase capacity and performance of existing assets and networks.
- Regulatory frameworks across all infrastructure sectors should incentivise whole life investment decisions based on the needs of the end user.
- ICE and other professional institutions must work with industry and government to ensure that people at all points in their career have the right skills to adapt.
- Clients, contractors and government should use infrastructure projects, big and small, as incubators for skills and innovation.
- Clients should insist that data is identified, collected, stored and shared in the right way by everyone working on a project as part of the procurement process.
- Cyber and physical security considerations must be at the centre of industry thinking in order to keep up with evolving security threats.
- As infrastructure decisions are increasingly made at local level we need to invest in improving the quality of local asset data. This well help improve understanding of the interdependencies between different assets and how that changes with increased connectivity.
- The National Infrastructure Commission should set out a needs-based strategy to align energy and digital infrastructure policy.
This article was originally published here on 22 Mar 2017 by ICE. It was written by Kelly Forbes.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Articles by ICE on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- Cyber security and engineering.
- Data and infrastructure productivity.
- Digital Built Britain.
- Digital communications and infrastructure dependencies.
- Digital transformation - engineers need to keep pace.
- How to gain a competitive edge with digital technologies.
- How to make the digital revolution a success.
- Ripe for transformation, ready for change?
- State of the nation: Devolution.
Featured articles and news
The types, causes and measurement of damp in buildings.
The new NEC4 contract creates a true procurement alliance arrangement for all stakeholders.
Andrew Strauss talks about performance and team building at the 2018 BSRIA Briefing.
Applications have to be in by the end of the week.
Reflections on the 5th Annual Global Congress of Knowledge Economy, held in Qingdao, China.
An artist finds ruined and decaying buildings a source of inspiration for his work. Book review.
When is there a right to light, and what happens if it is obstructed?
What would the nationalisation of economic infrastructure mean for GB?
A new guide to improving value by reducing design error.
We've reached 80,000 page views a day and 10,000 registered users. Why not join them?
A masterplan is a framework within which a location is encouraged to develop or change. Read our introductory article.