- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 23 Aug 2021
Digital technology refers to the systems, hardware and processes that use digital data or signals to achieve a particular set of user-defined results. It pervades most walks of modern life and is the basis for telecommunications, computer systems, navigation and photography, but also manufacturing and finance, to name but a few.
In construction, digital technology has caused a cultural shift and comprises the set of tools that use and manipulate digital data to help improve, deliver and operate the built environment. These tools include:
- Use of drones to facilitate site surveys
- Facilitating remote meetings (eg Skype)
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) and machine learning.
- 3D printing
- Communications such as email.
- Software such as computer aided design, computer aided manufacture and building information modelling.
- Internet of things.
- Cloud-based computing
- Virtual reality
Digital technology has brought about improved collaboration within the building team, and between it and other stakeholders. It has also resulted in new materials and processes, greater innovation and buildings that would have been either very difficult or impossible to design and construct before the advent of the digital revolution. Digital technology is not only achieving better results at every level, but is also helping to make construction safer, more collaborative and more efficient.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- A vision for digital highways.
- BIM articles.
- Centre for Digital Built Britain.
- Construction Accelerator.
- Digital Built Britain v BIM.
- Digital information.
- Digital infrastructure.
- How to make the digital revolution a success.
- Immersive Hybrid Reality IHR.
- Internet of things.
- Internet of things in commercial buildings.
- Interview with Su Butcher, Director, Just Practising Limited.
- Smart buildings.
- Smart contracts.
- Smart technology.
- UK BIM Alliance and CIOB join forces.
- UK digital strategy.
Featured articles and news
Protecting heritage from disasters. Book review.
Three structures forever changed people's lives for the better.
ECA comments on findings of BEIS Green Jobs Task Force.
Why government can't support public transport forever.
Government introduces the Information Management Mandate.
Designing and building for the future.
Fabricating mystical connections between nature and architecture.
IHBC issues responses to ECO4 and PAS 2035.
The narrative power of video gaming technology.
Report examines the possibilities and limitations of localised actions.