- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 28 Sep 2021
Digital technology refers to the systems, hardware and processes that use digital data or signals to achieve a particular set of user-defined results. It pervades most walks of modern life and is the basis for telecommunications, computer systems, navigation and photography, but also manufacturing and finance, to name but a few.
In construction, digital technology has caused a cultural shift and comprises the set of tools that use and manipulate digital data to help improve, deliver and operate the built environment. These tools include:
- Use of drones to facilitate site surveys
- Facilitating remote meetings (eg Skype)
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) and machine learning.
- 3D printing
- Communications such as email.
- Software such as computer aided design, computer aided manufacture and building information modelling.
- Internet of things.
- Cloud-based computing
- Virtual reality
Digital technology has brought about improved collaboration within the building team, and between it and other stakeholders. It has also resulted in new materials and processes, greater innovation and buildings that would have been either very difficult or impossible to design and construct before the advent of the digital revolution. Digital technology is not only achieving better results at every level, but is also helping to make construction safer, more collaborative and more efficient.
 Related articles
- A vision for digital highways.
- BIM articles.
- Centre for Digital Built Britain.
- Construction Accelerator.
- Digital Built Britain v BIM.
- Digital Construction Week 2021.
- Digital information.
- Digital infrastructure.
- How to make the digital revolution a success.
- Immersive Hybrid Reality IHR.
- Internet of things.
- Internet of things in commercial buildings.
- Interview with Su Butcher, Director, Just Practising Limited.
- Smart buildings.
- Smart contracts.
- Smart technology.
- UK BIM Alliance and CIOB join forces.
- UK digital strategy.
Featured articles and news
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.
How has transport changed due to Covid-19 ?
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?
Create an account and write the first of many articles.
CIAT commentary after the first meeting.
Who is to blame?
Research recommends focussing on portfolio success rather than project success.
The revised standard for mapping underground utilities.
Cross-industry steering group seeks support in delivery.
Help us update process pieces from your field.
APM report explores existing practice.
COVID-19 and the importance of mental wellbeing.
As Professionally Qualified Person (PQP).
In order of relevance and with industry responses.
Raising awareness of the impacts of loneliness.
The list is growing, and in more ways than one.
We shouldn’t build new, If we can’t maintain what's built.
Timber Accelerator Hub phase 1 report