- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 17 Jul 2019
Planning Permission For Oak Garages and Outbuildings
- Must be single storey with a maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of 4 metres if it has a dual pitched roof.
- Not within 2 metres of the property boundary (unless under 2.5 metres in height).
- Outbuildings and other additions must not exceed 50% of the total area of land around the original house. The term ‘original house’ means the house as it was first built or as it stood on 1 July 1948 (if it was built before that date).
- No outbuilding on land forward of a wall forming the principal elevation of the original house.
- On designated land outbuildings to the side of the house are not permitted development. Designated land includes national parks and the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Conservation Areas and World Heritage Sites.
- To be permitted development, any new building must not itself be a separate self-contained living accommodation. If a building is going to be used as self-contained, living accommodation – planning permission will most likely be required.
When considering or designing a garage or outbuilding it is important to consider all factors including the process of gaining planning permission for buildings which may be marginally outside the permitted development conditions. For those wishing to assess their properties permitted development status, you can download a useful guide from the contributor of this article.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Avoiding planning permission pitfalls.
- Building regulations.
- Conservation areas.
- How long does it take to get planning permission.
- How long does planning permission last.
- Listed buildings.
- Permitted development.
- Planning appeal.
- Planning authority.
- Planning conditions.
- Planning enforcement.
- Planning fees.
- Planning objection.
- Planning obligations.
- Pre-application advice.
- The difference between planning permission building regulations approval.
- Use class.
- What approvals are needed before construction begins.
Featured articles and news
Opening up the space below the former Floral Hall.
Why was the Fountaine Hospital Almshouse built in such a sophisticated style?
How do we measure air tightness in buildings?
The Housing Infrastructure Fund
Encouraging access to local amenities and sustainable transport.
Publish your thought leadership articles on Designing Buildings Wiki – for free.
Competence Steering Group publishes interim proposals to deliver safer buildings.
Indoor environments should provide a multi-sensory experience.
We have a great range of introductory articles written by ECA.
7 of the most common myths, busted.