- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 12 Oct 2020
NEC was first published in 1993 as the New Engineering Contract. It is a suite of construction contracts intended to promote partnering and collaboration between the contractor and client. It was developed as a reaction to other more traditional forms of construction contract which have been portrayed by some as adversarial.
The intentions of NEC contracts include:
- Stimulating good management.
- Being clear and simple, written in plain English, in the present tense and without legal terminology.
- Being useable in wide variety of situations from minor works to major projects
The suite of documents now include:
- ECC Engineering and Construction Contracts
- ECSC Engineering and Construction Short Contracts
- ECS Engineering and Construction Subcontract
- ECSS Engineering and Construction Short Subcontract
- FC Framework Contract
- TSC Term Services Contract
- TSSC Term Services Short Contract
- PSC Professional Services Contract
- SC Supply Contract
- SSC Supply Short Contract
- AC Adjudicators Contract
- Accepted programme.
- Activity schedule
- Compensation event.
- Cost reimbursable contract.
- Defined cost.
- Delay damages.
- Disallowed cost.
- Early contractor involvement.
- Early warning notice.
- Key dates.
- Latham Report.
- NEC contract change management systems.
- NEC contracts - road development and management schemes.
- NEC contracts and collaborative working.
- NEC early contractor involvement.
- NEC early warning notices - a tool of mutual benefit.
- NEC Option A: Priced contract with activity schedule.
- NEC Option B: Priced contract with bill of quantities.
- NEC Option C: Target contract with activity schedule.
- NEC Option D: Target contract with bill of quantities.
- NEC Option E: Cost reimbursable contract.
- Period for reply.
- Term Contract.
- The NEC and the Z clause.
- Time Risk Allowance.
- Z clauses.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
From inns and coaching houses to boutiques.
Survey reveals green skills gap.
America's economic collapse produced scores of PWA Moderne projects.
The benefits of glowing aggregates and cement.
Urgent need for open communication to address mental health issues.
Guidance offered on COVID-19 green recovery, building safety and more.
Providing strength and support above the joists.
Enforcer will test and investigate product safety.
Underfloor air conditioning comes to 24 St James's Square.
Consultation on public right to buy unused public property.
IHBC resource offers improved consistency.
New laws to ‘retain and explain’ historic statues.