- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 08 Dec 2020
Kaplan North Masterplan Complex
Situated between one of the city's busiest intersections and its cultural centre, the design aims to create a 'new gateway to Tel Aviv', an innovative series of structures that will restore a once secretive and secluded area that was home to the Kiriya (IDF's - Israel Defense Forces - headquarters).
The west side is the main 'urban room' and is connected to the southern gardens. The gardens serve as an open urban space for leisure activities, small concerts and gatherings. It also aims to play host to temporary art exhibitions in pavilions of the kind seen at London's Serpentine Gallery.
The east side is an area of more dense and complex structures, relating to the surrounding existing towers. The strategy is to create a 'multi-layered vertical city' of urban spaces, gradually going from public at the bottom level to private at the top:
- Street/metropolis level.
- Public housing (surrounding the plinth).
- Level 5 – neighbourhood spaces and publicly-accessible amenities.
- Level 30 – Spaces for the users of the upper levels (residential, offices, hotel).
Find out more here.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- 416-420 Kent, Williamsburg.
- 600 Collins Street, Melbourne.
- Building of the week series.
- D'Leedon, Singapore.
- Eight most impressive skyscrapers under construction in 2016.
- JTI Headquarters, Geneva.
- Tallest buildings in the world.
- Tebrau Waterfront Residences.
- The Mile.
- ToHA, Tel Aviv.
- Unusual building design of the week.
Featured articles and news
Proper materials and maintenance can help reduce rust.
Is the construction sector responding to calls for ED&I?
Engineers pay tribute by sharing their memories.
The hidden price of infrastructure.
BREEAM incorporates wellbeing into its Building Back Better programme.
Administration signals policy changes on some building-related issues.
From inns and coaching houses to boutiques.
Survey reveals green skills gap.
America's economic collapse produced scores of PWA Moderne projects.
The benefits of glowing aggregates and cement.
Urgent need for open communication to address mental health issues.