- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 14 Dec 2020
Control of solar shading IP 4 17
Solar shading can have a major impact on building energy use and occupant comfort, reducing cooling load and overheating. Under cloudy conditions, moveable shading can be retracted to allow daylight and useful solar gain to enter the buildings, reducing dependence on electric lighting and heating.
IP 4/17 gives guidance about whether to use automatic or manual controls, or a mixture of both, and describes a range of control strategies and how to implement them. It will be of interest to building designers, services engineers, shading manufacturers and installers.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Trust.
- BRE Expert Collection 6 Daylight and shading.
- Building Research Establishment BRE.
- Daylight benefits in healthcare buildings.
- Daylight lighting systems.
- Daylit space.
- Lighting and health infographic.
- Retrofitting solar shading.
- Solar shading.
- Solar shading of buildings BR 364.
- When hospital buildings aren’t healthy.
- Wind Resistance for External Blinds.
Featured articles and news
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?
Create an account and write the first of many articles.
CIAT commentary after the first meeting.
Who is to blame?
Research recommends focussing on portfolio success rather than project success.
The revised standard for mapping underground utilities.
Cross-industry steering group seeks support in delivery.
Help us update process pieces from your field.
APM report explores existing practice.
COVID-19 and the importance of mental wellbeing.
As Professionally Qualified Person (PQP).
In order of relevance and with industry responses.
Raising awareness of the impacts of loneliness.
The list is growing, and in more ways than one.
We shouldn’t build new, If we can’t maintain what's built.
Timber Accelerator Hub phase 1 report