- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 05 Jul 2018
Constructing Excellence SECBE Awards 2018
The winners of the Constructing Excellence SECBE Awards 2018 were revealed at the prestigious awards ceremony and gala dinner on 28th June 2018 at the Royal Lancaster Hotel in Hyde Park, London.
It was Constructing Excellence's biggest awards ceremony yet, with more than 600 guests celebrating the success of the regions’ finest people, organisations and projects. The evening's host was Maggie Philpin OBE – Broadcaster and CEO of TeenTech, who kept the attendees entertained throughout the proceedings.
The awards, sponsored by Unibail-Rodamco-Westfield, recognise outstanding companies and projects in the built environment that have delivered improvements in all-round performance through collaborative working and a desire to make a difference. They are open to the whole sector from buildings to infrastructure, all parts of the supply and demand chain, and all disciplines, professions and trades.
The robust judging process means that just being selected as a finalist is a significant achievement.
The winners of the Constructing Excellence SECBE Awards 2018 are:
- Apprenticeship Initiative (Sponsored by CoTrain) CETC – Civil Engineering Training Centre (Fareham College)
- Building Project of the Year – over £10m (Sponsored by Westfield) 25 Wilton, London (Kier Construction)
- Building Project of the Year – £10m or under (Sponsored by Westfield) Heathfield Academy - Croydon (Willmott Dixon)
- Civils Project of the Year (Sponsored by Westfield) London Bridge Station Redevelopment Project (Network Rail)
- Client of the Year (Sponsored by Willmott Dixon) ESFA (Education & Skills Funding Agency)
- Digital Construction (Sponsored by Clearbox) VISUALISE (Skanska)
- G4C Future Leader (Sponsored by Tarmac) Natasha Baum (Willmott Dixon)
- Health, Safety & Wellbeing (Sponsored by CLOCS) Lendlease Construction
- Innovation (Sponsored by SIG360 Technical Centre) Transport Infrastructure Efficiency – Benchmarking Framework (Turner & Townsend)
- Integration & Collaborative Working (Sponsored by Waterloo Air Products) Design Consortium (Willmott Dixon. Cobham)
- Offsite (Sponsored by LHC) Offsite Champions (Ramboll)
- Outstanding Customer Satisfaction (Sponsored by Willmott Dixon) Phelan Construction Ltd
- People Development (Sponsored by Cheesmur Building Contractors) Playle & Partners LLP
- Preservation & Rejuvenation (Sponsored by RIFT) ‘Your New Town Hall’ Lambeth (Morgan Sindall)
- SME of the Year (Sponsored by CIOB) ITC
- Sustainability (Sponsored by Temple Group) Wilmcote House, Portsmouth (ECD Architects)
- Value (Sponsored by Artelia Group) Little Daydreams Nursery (Mitie)
Highly commended awards were given to:
- ATT Tideway EPIC: Logistics - Health, Safety & Wellbeing
- Oxford Westgate (Laing O'Rourke) - Sustainability
- The J.P. Morgan Media Centre (David Miller Architects) - Digital Construction
Congratulations to all the winners and the highly commended, but also to the finalists whose submissions created some very difficult decisions for our panel of judges.
The Constructing Excellence SECBE Awards are unique in their recognition of some of the best teams and organisations in the region and aim to inspire others to learn and benefit from their stories which are published in the Awards Brochure. “The key actions they took, results achieved, and lessons learned make an interesting read” says Derek Rees, Regional Director for Constructing Excellence. Download this year's Constructing Excellence SECBE Awards brochure here.
The winners will automatically be entered in to the Constructing Excellence National Awards which will be held on the 16th November 2018 .
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
The Chartered Quality Institute explain the pathway to success for organisations implementing management systems.
An introductory article looking at where a duty of care can arise in the construction industry.
House of Lords committee encourages the use of off-site manufacturing in new report.
Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) can go some way to show the impact of new buildings on their surroundings.
The shortlist for the 2018 prize for the UK's best new building is revealed.
Amendment to Bill aims to provide councils with greater powers to increase tax premiums on empty homes.
As the latest summer blockbuster 'Skyscraper' is released, we look at some of the best uses of buildings in film.
Read our introductory article on how to layout a building.
New cross-party report calls for combustible cladding ban to be extended to all high-rise residential buildings.
Dr Nicholas Falk, director of the URBED Trust, explains why metro cities are the future of urbanisation.