- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 18 Dec 2017
Capital allowances for construction
- Plant and machinery (lifts, escalators, mechanical and electrical plant, information and communications technology, equipment, furniture, fittings and office equipment).
- Thermal insulation for industrial buildings.
- Making certain buildings comply with the part B of the building regulations (fire safety).
- Safety measures for sports grounds and stadia.
- Security systems if there is a special threat to the use of the building.
- Scientific research and development facilities.
- Enterprise zones in relation to industrial and commercial buildings, including hotels.
The tax relief allowed relates to the reduction in value (depreciation) of the qualifying assets. The percentage of annual depreciation depends on the item claimed and the size of the business making the claim.
The percentage of annual depreciation depends on the item claimed and the size of the business making the claim. The client's finance director or in-house tax team may quantify the level of qualifying expenditure, or they may appoint a specialist capital allowances advisor. Capital allowances services are offered by specialist boutique firms, large and mid tier accountancy firms (who employ chartered surveyors) and cost consultants.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Base construction.
- Building Regulations.
- Business case.
- Capital costs.
- Capital gains tax.
- Cost consultant.
- Cost plans.
- Enhanced Capital Allowance scheme.
- ECA Water Scheme.
- Fit out.
- Net Present Value.
 External references
- HMRC: Capital allowances.
Featured articles and news
If the one of the parties to a contract fails to perform as required, this may constitute a breach of contract.
Research engineer Chris Thompson examines the crucial role of smarter systems in predicting failure.
Government could be failing in its human rights duty over combustible cladding, warns watchdog.
Conservation in the heritage cities of Venice and Liverpool.
Which room is the most fun to design? Find out the 'Grand Designs' presenter's unusual choice in our interview.
Full suite of speakers are announced for this year's BSRIA Briefing event.
Book your place for the Architectural Technology Awards 2018.
There are many ways of classifying types of building. Have a look at our range of building articles.
BSRIA have launched the 'major update' of the go-to design framework guide for building services.
How to get results with building life cycle assessment.
Government publishes a prospectus inviting proposals for new 'garden communities'.