- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 10 Sep 2019
Capital allowances for construction
- Plant and machinery (lifts, escalators, mechanical and electrical plant, information and communications technology, equipment, furniture, fittings and office equipment).
- Thermal insulation for industrial buildings.
- Making certain buildings comply with the part B of the building regulations (fire safety).
- Safety measures for sports grounds and stadia.
- Security systems if there is a special threat to the use of the building.
- Scientific research and development facilities.
- Enterprise zones in relation to industrial and commercial buildings, including hotels.
The tax relief allowed relates to the reduction in value (depreciation) of the qualifying assets. The percentage of annual depreciation depends on the item claimed and the size of the business making the claim.
The percentage of annual depreciation depends on the item claimed and the size of the business making the claim. The client's finance director or in-house tax team may quantify the level of qualifying expenditure, or they may appoint a specialist capital allowances advisor. Capital allowances services are offered by specialist boutique firms, large and mid tier accountancy firms (who employ chartered surveyors) and cost consultants.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Base construction.
- Building Regulations.
- Business case.
- Capital costs.
- Capital gain.
- Capital gains tax.
- Cost consultant.
- Cost plans.
- Enhanced Capital Allowance scheme.
- ECA Water Scheme.
- Financial year.
- Fit out.
- Industrial buildings allowance (IBA)
- Net Present Value.
 External references
- HMRC: Capital allowances.
Featured articles and news
Insights from New York.
A quick introduction to a very complicated subject.
CIOB suggests the economic reach of construction is double the official figures.
The first US building to achieve BREEAM Outstanding In-Use.
70 buildings from 70 years of Concrete Quarterly. Book review.
Conserving the iron roof at the Albert Dock.
Delivering an infrastructure revolution.
The admissibility of evidence.
How many can you name? 37 anyone?
CIOB respond to the points-based system.
When is the weather considered 'exceptionally adverse'?