- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 18 Dec 2017
Capital allowances for construction
- Plant and machinery (lifts, escalators, mechanical and electrical plant, information and communications technology, equipment, furniture, fittings and office equipment).
- Thermal insulation for industrial buildings.
- Making certain buildings comply with the part B of the building regulations (fire safety).
- Safety measures for sports grounds and stadia.
- Security systems if there is a special threat to the use of the building.
- Scientific research and development facilities.
- Enterprise zones in relation to industrial and commercial buildings, including hotels.
The tax relief allowed relates to the reduction in value (depreciation) of the qualifying assets. The percentage of annual depreciation depends on the item claimed and the size of the business making the claim.
The percentage of annual depreciation depends on the item claimed and the size of the business making the claim. The client's finance director or in-house tax team may quantify the level of qualifying expenditure, or they may appoint a specialist capital allowances advisor. Capital allowances services are offered by specialist boutique firms, large and mid tier accountancy firms (who employ chartered surveyors) and cost consultants.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Base construction.
- Building Regulations.
- Business case.
- Capital costs.
- Capital gains tax.
- Cost consultant.
- Cost plans.
- Enhanced Capital Allowance scheme.
- ECA Water Scheme.
- Fit out.
- Net Present Value.
 External references
- HMRC: Capital allowances.
Featured articles and news
Starting a new built environment degree? We have a wide range of resources aimed at students.
Former railway chief James Blake says trust and control are key to successful infrastructure projects.
Do you know your Rococo from your De Stijl, your Gothic from your Post-modernist?
May outlines a new funding strategy for housing associations and says the 'stigma' of social housing needs to end.
RIBA launches a consultation on a new Plan of Work for Fire Safety.
This article offers some basic rules to follow when writing your next specification.
The iconic Mackintosh Building will definitely be rebuilt, board chairwoman confirms.
The machinery used to fashion stone has changed dramatically - and so have the products.
This type of pile provides support to the building, as well as acting as a heat source and a heat sink.
Why investors are adopting the SDGs and why civil engineering could be crucial for delivering them.
Read about all the winners from the London ceremony of CIAT's 2018 Architectural Technology Awards.