Last edited 18 Aug 2021

Capital gains tax


[edit] Overview

Capital Gains Tax (CGT) is levied on the profit that is made when something is sold, gifted, swapped or otherwise disposed of.

The following assets are liable to Capital Gains Tax:

[edit] Property

Property that is liable to Capital Gains Tax includes:

The selling of a main home will not generally be liable to Capital Gains Tax and may be eligible for Private Residence Relief.

[edit] Shares

The investments that are liable to Capital Gains Tax include:

[edit] Personal possessions

The majority of personal possessions that are worth more than £6,000 are liable to Capital Gains Tax, including:

  • Jewellery.
  • Antiques.
  • Paintings.
  • Coins and stamps.
  • Possessions that are part of a set, such as matching vases (the threshold applies to the set as a whole).

[edit] Business assets

Numerous business assets are liable to Capital Gains Tax and typically include:

[edit] Overseas assets

For residents in the UK, overseas assets are liable to Capital Gains Tax, including:

[edit] When Capital Gains Tax is not required

Capital Gains Tax is only required on any gains which are in excess of the tax-free allowance, which for 2013-2014 is:

  • £10,900 for individuals.
  • £5,450 for trustees.

It is not normally necessary to pay Capital Gains Tax on gifts between husband and wife, civil partner or to charities. In addition, Capital Gains Tax on inheritance is typically only required when an asset is sold.

The following assets are not liable:

  • Personal car.
  • Personal possessions that are disposed of for less than £6,000.
  • Main home.
  • Any tax free investment savings accounts e.g. ISAs and PEPs.
  • Winnings from the lottery, betting or the pools.
  • UK government gilts and Premium Bonds.
  • Personal injury compensation.
  • Foreign currency for personal use.

[edit] Rates for Capital Gains Tax

The rates for Capital Gains Tax for 2013-14 are:

[edit] Reporting Capital Gains Tax

If Capital Gains Tax needs to be paid, HM Revenues and Customs (HMRC) will require notification through a tax return. This can be completed online or alternatively on paper.

[edit] Record keeping

It is necessary to maintain any records for at least one year after the Self Assessment deadline and businesses must maintain records for 5 years after the deadline.

[edit] Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.

[edit] External references

Designing Buildings Anywhere

Get the Firefox add-on to access 20,000 definitions direct from any website

Find out more Accept cookies and
don't show me this again