- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 21 Sep 2020
Base construction of buildings
Base construction or ‘base build’ refers to the works done, usually by speculative office building developers, to erect the ‘basic’ elements of a buildings. Once the building is let to tenants they are then given responsibility or the fit out of the interior, that is, making interior spaces suitable for occupation.
- Primary structure.
- Building envelope (roof and façade) in whole or part.
- Mechanical and supply systems (electricity, HVAC, telephone, water, drainage, gas, etc.,), up to the point of contact with individual tenant spaces.
- Public circulation and fire egress areas, such as lobbies, corridors, elevators and public stairs.
Once practical completion of the base build has been finished, the tenant fits out their part of the lettable space. Tenants may be given access prior to practical completion to carry out parts of the works, and may be allowed a rent-free period for the duration of fit out works.
- What comprises the base build, including space provision in common areas for tenant equipment such as standby generators, extra chillers, or uninterrupted power supply plant.
- What elements of the fit out may be installed by the tenant but funded by the developer/landlord.
- What tenant equipment is to be installed in common areas.
When the tenant takes occupation of the space, it is wise to undertake a conditions survey so that they can notify the developer or landlord of any defects or omissions. It is relatively common that defects in the base construction do not get rectified by the contractors quickly enough for the fit out to be completed. This can lead to the tenant’s contractors making good the defects and then issuing a claim to the base build contractors for the cost of the works.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Prioritising tax considerations.
The four D creative process: discover, define, develop and deliver.
National Cyber Security Centre initiative is announced.
Reviewing trends and projections.
Legislation will establish initiatives to move towards net zero.
How to document contractor employment status.
Tech tools to help manage people and space post-pandemic.
A style that ranges from mock Tudor to arts and crafts to the 'Wrenaissance'.
Free guide from Secured by Design.
BREEAM strategy for sustainability and the circular economy.
Free tool to improve the construction programming process.
Are buildings doing what they're supposed to be doing?
Cities with quick access to everything by foot or bike.
The pressures and pinch points of global destinations.