- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 25 Feb 2021
BS EN 15221
BS EN 15221 (also referred to as EN 15221) was the British and European standard for facilities management from 2006 to 2018. The standard was introduced in 2003 to support the belief that the facilities management profession should be considered as equal to traditional professional disciplines (architecture, engineering, surveying and others) associated with the built environment.
The original development of BS EN 15221 was lead by the British Standards Institution and the British Institute of Facilities Management (BIFM), now then known as the Institute of Workplace and Facilities Management (IWFM). In 2018, BS EN 15221 was replaced by ISO 41001:2018.
As the precursor to ISO 41001:2018, the standard was primarily used by organisations to prepare facilities management outsourcing agreements. However, many aspects of the standard also apply to the operation of in-house facilities departments.
- Part 1: Terms and definitions.
- Part 2: Agreements.
- Part 3: Guidance how to achieve/ensure quality in facility management.
- Part 4: Taxonomy, classification and structures in facility management.
- Part 5: Guidance on facility management processes.
- Part 6: Area and space measurement in facility management.
- Part 7: Guidelines for performance benchmarking.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- British Standards Institution BSI.
- BS 8210:2020 facilities maintenance management code of practice.
- Business process outsourcing (BPO).
- Facilities management.
- ISO 41001:2018.
- ISO 14001:2004 Environmental management system -- Requirements with guidance for use.
- ISO 14001:2015 Environmental management systems. Requirements with guidance for use.
- ISO 9000.
Featured articles and news
Students available for administrative roles.
Delisting a World Heritage Site.
Design needs to be more diverse to be widely accessible.
It’s not always a case of the centre leading.
PHribbon toolbar developed for US market.
CIOB consultation seeks feedback on APPG 2020 report.
How to respond to changes made in the October 2021 update.
Resource provides professional installation assistance.
Adaptive planning proposal spans 15 years.