- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 27 Apr 2020
The International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO) is an independent body responsible for the production of international standards. ISO 41001:2018 Facility management — Management systems — Requirements with guidance for use, was published in April 2018. It is available at: https://www.iso.org/standard/68021.html
 BS EN 15221 and ISO 14001
ISO 41001:2018 replaces 2006 European Standard (BS EN 15221) and applies the general principles of ISO 14001 (environmental management systems) to facilities management practices. These principles include:
- Prominence of facilities management within the organisation's strategic planning processes linked to environment and risk aspects (Sections 4 and 6 of ISO 14001).
- A focus on leadership, competence and training (Section 7 of ISO 14001).
- An emphasis on improved performance including emergency planning and response (Section 8 of ISO 14001).
- The addition of a communications strategy.
 Background documentation
- ISO 41011:2017 Facility management — Vocabulary (including a definition of the facility management profession).
- ISO 41012:2017 Facility management — Guidance on strategic sourcing and the development of agreements.
- ISO/TR 41013:2017 Facility management — Scope, key concepts and benefits.
 Guidance on application
ISO 41001:2018 is intended to be applicable to all organisations regardless of sector, size or location. According to the ISO summary, the standard specifies the requirements for a facility management system when an organisation:
- Needs to demonstrate effective and efficient delivery of facility management that supports the objectives of the organisation.
- Aims to consistently meet the needs of interested parties and applicable requirements.
- Aims to be sustainable in a globally competitive environment.
It serves as a facilities management benchmark for internal departments and can also be used when organisations seek to outsource facilities management services to consultants that comply with the standard.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- British Standards Institution BSI.
- BS EN 15221.
- Facilities management.
- ISO 14001:2004 Environmental management system -- Requirements with guidance for use Sustainability.
- ISO 14001:2015 Environmental management systems. Requirements with guidance for use.
- ISO 9000.
 External references
Featured articles and news
Three different approaches to building quality homes in urban settings.
Leaving suburbia for exurbia.
Hilton Tallinn Park in Estonia completes sustainable renovation.
Sleeper walls support many projects.
Discover the hidden history of pocket doors.
PwC reports on post-pandemic predictions from executives.
Insight for those entering the field of engineering.
A tool borrowed from statistics and applied to construction procurement.
Reports and factsheets for 2018, 2019 released.
Finding the right landscape maintenance contractor.
Aspects of daylighting design covered by EN 17037.