- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 11 Sep 2020
The International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO) is an independent body responsible for the production of international standards. ISO 41001:2018 Facility management — Management systems — Requirements with guidance for use, was published in April 2018. It is available at: https://www.iso.org/standard/68021.html
 BS EN 15221 and ISO 14001
ISO 41001:2018 replaces 2006 European Standard (BS EN 15221) and applies the general principles of ISO 14001 (environmental management systems) to facilities management practices. These principles include:
- Prominence of facilities management within the organisation's strategic planning processes linked to environment and risk aspects (Sections 4 and 6 of ISO 14001).
- A focus on leadership, competence and training (Section 7 of ISO 14001).
- An emphasis on improved performance including emergency planning and response (Section 8 of ISO 14001).
- The addition of a communications strategy.
 Background documentation
- ISO 41011:2017 Facility management — Vocabulary (including a definition of the facility management profession).
- ISO 41012:2017 Facility management — Guidance on strategic sourcing and the development of agreements.
- ISO/TR 41013:2017 Facility management — Scope, key concepts and benefits.
 Guidance on application
ISO 41001:2018 is intended to be applicable to all organisations regardless of sector, size or location. According to the ISO summary, the standard specifies the requirements for a facility management system when an organisation:
- Needs to demonstrate effective and efficient delivery of facility management that supports the objectives of the organisation.
- Aims to consistently meet the needs of interested parties and applicable requirements.
- Aims to be sustainable in a globally competitive environment.
It serves as a facilities management benchmark for internal departments and can also be used when organisations seek to outsource facilities management services to consultants that comply with the standard.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- British Standards Institution BSI.
- BS EN 15221.
- Building manager.
- Facilities management.
- ISO 14001:2004 Environmental management system -- Requirements with guidance for use Sustainability.
- ISO 14001:2015 Environmental management systems. Requirements with guidance for use.
- ISO 9000.
 External references
Featured articles and news
The hidden price of infrastructure.
BREEAM incorporates wellbeing into its Building Back Better programme.
Administration signals policy changes on some building-related issues.
From inns and coaching houses to boutiques.
Survey reveals green skills gap.
America's economic collapse produced scores of PWA Moderne projects.
The benefits of glowing aggregates and cement.
Urgent need for open communication to address mental health issues.
Guidance offered on COVID-19 green recovery, building safety and more.
Providing strength and support above the joists.
Enforcer will test and investigate product safety.