- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 21 Jul 2021
The International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO) is an independent body responsible for the production of international standards. ISO 41001:2018 Facility management — Management systems — Requirements with guidance for use, was published in April 2018. It is available at: https://www.iso.org/standard/68021.html
 BS EN 15221 and ISO 14001
- Prominence of facilities management within the organisation's strategic planning processes linked to environment and risk aspects (Sections 4 and 6 of ISO 14001).
- A focus on leadership, competence and training (Section 7 of ISO 14001).
- An emphasis on improved performance including emergency planning and response (Section 8 of ISO 14001).
- The addition of a communications strategy.
 Background documentation
- ISO 41011:2017 Facility management — Vocabulary (including a definition of the facility management profession).
- ISO 41012:2017 Facility management — Guidance on strategic sourcing and the development of agreements.
- ISO/TR 41013:2017 Facility management — Scope, key concepts and benefits.
 Guidance on application
ISO 41001:2018 is applicable to all organisations regardless of sector, size or location. According to the ISO summary, the standard specifies the requirements for a facility management system when an organisation:
- Needs to demonstrate effective and efficient delivery of facility management that supports the objectives of the organisation.
- Aims to consistently meet the needs of interested parties and applicable requirements.
- Aims to be sustainable in a globally competitive environment.
It serves as a facilities management benchmark for internal departments and can also be used when organisations seek to outsource facilities management services to consultants that comply with the standard.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- British Standards Institution BSI.
- BS 8210:2020 facilities maintenance management code of practice.
- BS EN 15221.
- Building manager.
- Facilities management.
- FM Navigate.
- ISO 14001:2004 Environmental management system -- Requirements with guidance for use Sustainability.
- ISO 14001:2015 Environmental management systems. Requirements with guidance for use.
- ISO 9000.
- Institute of Workplace and Facilities Management IWFM.
 External references
Featured articles and news
An architectural biography. Book review.
The house where the future king of France lived.
The teacher, architectural technologist and mum offers her insights.
Careful planning needed as supply chain issues continue.
The sensitive conversion of a neglected Cornwall structure.
Plan stresses local involvement in city, town and village development.
Environment Agency publishes BAT guidance.
CLC guidance outlines carbon reduction priorities.
Making the most of a staycation.
Organisation urges G20 to revisit wind energy.
The historian spent much of his life compiling architectural resources.
How technology can expose efficiency levels in existing buildings.