- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 20 Nov 2020
The International Organization for Standardisation ISO 9000 is a ‘family’ of quality management systems designed to help organisations create their approach to directing, controlling and coordinating quality.
It aims to meet the needs of an organisation to demonstrate its ability to consistently provide products that meet the requirements of clients, stakeholders and any applicable regulatory requirements. It is important to note that it is intended to be the base level of a quality system, rather than a complete guarantee of quality.
ISO 9000 is not industry-specific, it can be applied to organisations from many different industries and of any size.
ISO 9000 contains these standards:
- ISO 9001:2015: Quality management systems - Requirements
- ISO 9000:2015: Quality management systems - Fundamentals and vocabulary (definitions)
- ISO 9004:2009: Quality management systems – Managing for the sustained success of an organization (continuous improvement)
- ISO 19011:2011: Guidelines for auditing management systems
The ISO quality management principles are:
- Customer focus: Organisations should seek to understand customer needs, meet their requirements and exceed expectations.
- Leadership: Leaders should establish and maintain organisational unity, direction and a positive internal environment.
- Involvement of people: Peoples' abilities at all levels can be used for the organisation's benefit.
- Process approach: Activities and related resources should be managed as a process to achieve a desired result.
- System approach to management: Overall performance improvement should be a permanent objective.
- Continual improvement: Analysing data and information enables effective decisions.
- Factual approach to decision-making.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Heritage on the edge?
Prioritising tax considerations.
The four D creative process: discover, define, develop and deliver.
National Cyber Security Centre initiative is announced.
Reviewing trends and projections.
Legislation will establish initiatives to move towards net zero.
How to document contractor employment status.
Tech tools to help manage people and space post-pandemic.
A style that ranges from mock Tudor to arts and crafts to the 'Wrenaissance'.
Free guide from Secured by Design.
BREEAM strategy for sustainability and the circular economy.
Free tool to improve the construction programming process.
Are buildings doing what they're supposed to be doing?
Cities with quick access to everything by foot or bike.