- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 20 Nov 2020
The International Organization for Standardisation ISO 9000 is a ‘family’ of quality management systems designed to help organisations create their approach to directing, controlling and coordinating quality.
It aims to meet the needs of an organisation to demonstrate its ability to consistently provide products that meet the requirements of clients, stakeholders and any applicable regulatory requirements. It is important to note that it is intended to be the base level of a quality system, rather than a complete guarantee of quality.
ISO 9000 is not industry-specific, it can be applied to organisations from many different industries and of any size.
ISO 9000 contains these standards:
- ISO 9001:2015: Quality management systems - Requirements
- ISO 9000:2015: Quality management systems - Fundamentals and vocabulary (definitions)
- ISO 9004:2009: Quality management systems – Managing for the sustained success of an organization (continuous improvement)
- ISO 19011:2011: Guidelines for auditing management systems
The ISO quality management principles are:
- Customer focus: Organisations should seek to understand customer needs, meet their requirements and exceed expectations.
- Leadership: Leaders should establish and maintain organisational unity, direction and a positive internal environment.
- Involvement of people: Peoples' abilities at all levels can be used for the organisation's benefit.
- Process approach: Activities and related resources should be managed as a process to achieve a desired result.
- System approach to management: Overall performance improvement should be a permanent objective.
- Continual improvement: Analysing data and information enables effective decisions.
- Factual approach to decision-making.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Smart motorway strategies.
Actuate UK urges change of deadline to at least December 2022.
Study shows harmful impact of late payments on SME personnel.
Upcoming changes to the commercial supply and purchase of chemicals.
CLC introduces card for learners.
CIOB members recognised for public procurement.
Experts discuss the complex issues damaging the supply chain.
The co-founder of Get Kids into Survey discusses career paths for kids.
Report examines lack of detail in the Government's vision.
Our director Gregor Harvie hosts 4 webinars at the IHBC marketplace on Friday.
Look up construction terms on any website direct from your browser.
The revival of the public sphere in Toronto.
The story behind the copycat architecture craze.
Insight into construction materials supply and demand issues.