- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 25 Apr 2018
BS ISO 10845
Procurement is the process of purchasing goods or services. There are many different routes by which the design and construction of a building can be procured. The selected procurement route should follow a strategy which fits the long-term objectives of the procurer's business plan and should give consideration to issues such as; speed, cost, value, quality, constraints, risk, asset ownership and financing.
The International Standards Organisation (ISO) has developed ISO 10845: Construction procurement, to help organisations develop tendering and procurement processes that are fair, equitable, transparent, competitive, cost-effective and in line with international best practice. It is can be applied by public and private clients and main contractors.
- BS ISO 10845-1 Construction procurement. Processes, methods and procedures.
- BS ISO 10845-2 Construction procurement. Formatting and compilation of procurement documentation.
The first part, published in 2010, provides guidance for generic procurement policy and procedures, describing how procurement should be managed and setting out requirements for the conduct of the procuring organisation. Its contents are:
- Normative references.
- Terms and definitions.
- Establishing a procurement system.
- Preparing for procurement.
- Procurement methods and procedures.
- Terms and definitions.
- General requirements for procurement documents.
- Component documents.
- Notice and invitation to submit expressions of interest.
- Tender documents.
- Contract documents.
- Compiling tender documents.
The international ISO documentation includes a further 6 parts:
- ISO 10845-3: Standard conditions of tender.
- ISO 10845-4: Standard conditions for the calling for expressions of interest.
- ISO 10845-5: Participation of targeted enterprises in contracts.
- ISO 10845-6: Participation of targeted partners in joint ventures in contracts.
- ISO 10845-7: Participation of local enterprises and labour in contracts.
- ISO 10845-8: Participation of targeted labour in contracts.
In parallel to the development of ISO 10845, the Constructing Excellence network developed BS 8534, the British Standard for 'Construction procurement policies, strategies and procedures - Code of practice'. Whilst ISO 10845. focusses more on tendering and selection, BS 8534 is concerned with the higher-level development of procurement policies, strategies and procedures.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BS 8534.
- Collaborative practices.
- Constructing Excellence.
- Gateway review process.
- ISO 10845.
- ISO 9000.
- PAS 1192-2
- PAS 1192-3
- PAS 91
- Public procurement.
 External references
Featured articles and news
Building acoustics is the science of controlling noise in buildings. Read our introductory article here.
ICE President Robert Mair delivers inspiring message to engineers at opening ceremony.
A form of procurement where the contractor provides a single point of contact for a supply chain.
A month after the devastating fire, emergency reconstruction works are underway.
The London Build Expo is hosting a Diversity in Construction panel and networking session on October 24.
Analysis can help develop a specification, but must not lead to inappropriate specifications being accepted.
Dos and don'ts for creating a smart home.
New ICE publication recommends pay-as-you-go tax to fund roads and other financing options.
BSRIA launches a White Paper on wearable technology and wellbeing in buildings.