- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 05 Nov 2021
BS ISO 10845
The International Standards Organisation (ISO) has developed ISO 10845: Construction procurement, to help organisations develop tendering and procurement processes that are fair, equitable, transparent, competitive, cost-effective and in line with international best practice. It can be applied by public and private clients and main contractors.
Procurement is the process of purchasing goods or services. There are many different routes by which the design and construction of a building can be procured. The selected procurement route should follow a strategy which fits the long-term objectives of the procurer's business plan and should give consideration to issues such as; speed, cost, value, quality, constraints, risk, asset ownership and financing.
Whilst historically we might have thought of clients as procurers, the extended supply chains that now contribute to construction means that procurers may also be contractors, and sub-contractors. ISO 10845 is also available as a two part British Standard:
- BS ISO 10845-1 Construction procurement. Processes, methods and procedures.
- BS ISO 10845-2 Construction procurement. Formatting and compilation of procurement documentation.
The first part, published in 2010, provides guidance for generic procurement policy and procedures, describing how procurement should be managed and setting out requirements for the conduct of the procuring organisation. Its contents are:
- Normative references.
- Terms and definitions.
- Establishing a procurement system.
- Preparing for procurement.
- Procurement methods and procedures.
- Terms and definitions.
- General requirements for procurement documents.
- Component documents.
- Notice and invitation to submit expressions of interest.
- Tender documents.
- Contract documents.
- Compiling tender documents.
The international ISO documentation includes a further 6 parts:
- ISO 10845-3: Standard conditions of tender.
- ISO 10845-4: Standard conditions for the calling for expressions of interest.
- ISO 10845-5: Participation of targeted enterprises in contracts.
- ISO 10845-6: Participation of targeted partners in joint ventures in contracts.
- ISO 10845-7: Participation of local enterprises and labour in contracts.
- ISO 10845-8: Participation of targeted labour in contracts.
In parallel to the development of ISO 10845, the Constructing Excellence network developed BS 8534, the British Standard for 'Construction procurement policies, strategies and procedures - Code of practice'. Whilst ISO 10845. focusses more on tendering and selection, BS 8534 is concerned with the higher-level development of procurement policies, strategies and procedures.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BS 8534.
- Collaborative practices.
- Constructing Excellence.
- Gateway review process.
- ISO 10845.
- ISO 9000.
- PAS 1192-2
- PAS 1192-3
- PAS 91
- Public procurement.
 External references
Featured articles and news
Or are you capping.
Digital gaming competition for UK students aged 16 to 18.
Heritage protection in England vs Australia.
Three-quarters of fire doors fail inspections
The role of geoparks, biospheres and world heritage sites.
Just one month to go ! Find out more here.
A new gallery for the University of Huddersfield.
What will it take to stop it ?
To celebrate world bee day 2022 !
Not forgetting part F and the new part overheating part O.
As energy prices jump up in cost.
With people in the UK from Ukraine.
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targeted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.
How has transport changed due to Covid-19 ?
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?
Create an account and write the first of many articles.
CIAT commentary after the first meeting.
Who is to blame?
Research recommends focussing on portfolio success rather than project success.