- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 27 Sep 2021
BS 8680:2020 Water quality. Water Safety Plans. Code of practice
The British Standards Institution (BSI) is the UK National Standards Body (NSB). British Standard BS 8680:2020, Water quality. Water safety plans. Code of practice, came into effect on 31 May 2020. It is available to purchase from the BSI shop.
In 2011, the World Health Organization (WHO) published Water safety in buildings. This report offers guidance specific to water safety in buildings with the adoption of water safety planning (WSP), which it defined as ‘A comprehensive risk-assessment and risk management approach that encompasses all steps in water supply, from catchment to consumer.’
In its efforts to ensure the quality of water supplied up to the point of use, the WHO report recommends three components of a WSP, which were integrated into BS 8680:2020 Water quality. Water safety plans. Code of practice:
- Assessing the system to determine whether the provider as a whole can deliver water of a sufficient quality. What systems are present? Where are they? Who uses them?
- Monitoring control measures in the supply chain that are of particular importance in securing water safety. How should this be monitored? When should it be inspected?
- Adopting a management approach that describes the actions to be undertaken from normal conditions to extreme events and relays how they will be communicated to the various stakeholders. Who is responsible? What decisions are made?
In addition to the WHO WSP guidance, the BS 8680:2020 code of practice integrates some specifics encountered in UK legislation and regulations (and therefore goes beyond the simple legionella risk assessment encountered in most buildings and workplaces). It also cross references BS 8580-1:2019 Water quality. Risk assessments for Legionella control. Code of practice, which deals with the risk assessments for Legionella.
- Design and specification.
- Construction and installation.
- Alteration and refurbishment.
 Related articles
- British Standards Institution BSI.
- Back to the workplace: are you prepared?
- Drinking Water Inspectorate.
- Legionnaires' disease.
- Planning for water safety in buildings and workplaces.
- Water safety plan WSP.
Featured articles and news
Myths and top tips.
CLC plans to ease impact of construction inflation.
BG 50 & VDI 2035 – your questions answered.
Will the way we heat homes change when winter comes ?
Can XR technology be leveraged in design & construction?
Or are you capping.
Digital gaming competition for UK students aged 16 to 18.
Heritage protection in England vs Australia.
Three-quarters of fire doors fail inspections
The role of geoparks, biospheres and world heritage sites.
Just one month to go ! Find out more here.
A new gallery for the University of Huddersfield.
What will it take to stop it ?
To celebrate world bee day 2022 !
Not forgetting part F and the new part overheating part O.
As energy prices jump up in cost.
With people in the UK from Ukraine.
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targeted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.