- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 27 Sep 2021
BS 8680:2020 Water quality. Water Safety Plans. Code of practice
The British Standards Institution (BSI) is the UK National Standards Body (NSB). British Standard BS 8680:2020, Water quality. Water safety plans. Code of practice, came into effect on 31 May 2020. It is available to purchase from the BSI shop.
 WHO’s WSP guidance
In 2011, the World Health Organization (WHO) published Water safety in buildings. This report offers guidance specific to water safety in buildings with the adoption of water safety planning (WSP), which it defined as ‘A comprehensive risk-assessment and risk management approach that encompasses all steps in water supply, from catchment to consumer.’
In its efforts to ensure the quality of water supplied up to the point of use, the WHO report recommends three components of a WSP, which were integrated into BS 8680:2020 Water quality. Water safety plans. Code of practice:
- Assessing the system to determine whether the provider as a whole can deliver water of a sufficient quality. What systems are present? Where are they? Who uses them?
- Monitoring control measures in the supply chain that are of particular importance in securing water safety. How should this be monitored? When should it be inspected?
- Adopting a management approach that describes the actions to be undertaken from normal conditions to extreme events and relays how they will be communicated to the various stakeholders. Who is responsible? What decisions are made?
In addition to the WHO WSP guidance, the BS 8680:2020 code of practice integrates some specifics encountered in UK legislation and regulations (and therefore goes beyond the simple legionella risk assessment encountered in most buildings and workplaces). It also cross references BS 8580-1:2019 Water quality. Risk assessments for Legionella control. Code of practice, which deals with the risk assessments for Legionella.
- Design and specification.
- Construction and installation.
- Alteration and refurbishment.
 Related articles
- British Standards Institution BSI.
- Back to the workplace: are you prepared?
- Drinking Water Inspectorate.
- Legionnaires' disease.
- Planning for water safety in buildings and workplaces.
- Water safety plan WSP.
Featured articles and news
Training reflects updated guidance in BSRIA BG 29/2021.
Complete list of 2021 winners now available.
Recognising past and present role models for the future.
So why not write something?
LETI publishes guidance for energy efficient home retrofits.
Predictions about adequate post-pandemic IAQ in non-domestic buildings.
Government publishes plans to 'build back greener'.
The contentious nature of claims associated with cladding, fire safety and EWS1 forms.
ECA comments on low-carbon heating systems initiative and Heat and Buildings Strategy.