- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 06 May 2018
Health and wellbeing impacts of natural and artificial lighting
In the report, researchers from BRE and from universities in Istanbul and Eindhoven reviewed recent studies into the type, quality and patterns of lighting in buildings and their impact on issues other than safety and providing enough illumination to see. It includes assessment of:
- The effects of lighting on health and mood.
- The importance of the variation of light levels from day to night to maintain the circadian cycle in the body, which can determine patterns of alertness, co-ordination, blood pressure and cardiovascular efficiency.
- The use of bright artificial light to give similar benefits to the natural lighting cycle.
- The flickering of fluorescent lighting with magnetic ballasts and some light-emitting diodes (LEDs), which can cause headaches, eyestrain or epileptic seizures and can exacerbate the symptoms of autism and agoraphobia.
- High frequency fluorescent lighting and different types of LEDs, which can avoid these problems.
- Whether special lighting can help people with dementia.
The contents of the report are:
- Executive summary.
- Safe, healthy lighting for tasks.
- Circadian and seasonal rhythms.
- Optical hazards.
- Light exposure to skin.
- Indirect impacts.
- Special types of lighting.
- Further reading.
The BRE Trust was set up in 2002 to advance knowledge, innovation and communication for public benefit. It is the largest UK charity dedicated to research and education in the built environment, commissioning research and publishing project findings to provide authoritative guidance to the construction industry. All profits made by the BRE Group are gift aided to the Trust to fund research and education programmes.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- 7 ways better lighting can improve your health.
- Building Research Establishment.
- BRE Trust.
- BRE articles.
- Choosing the correct glazed facade heating system.
- CIBSE Case Study Hepworth Gallery Lighting.
- Commercial lighting.
- Daylight lighting systems.
- Daylight benefits in healthcare buildings.
- Light shelf.
- Lighting and health FB 74.
- Lighting and offices.
- Lighting control.
- Lighting designer.
- The daylight factor.
- The essential guide to retail lighting.
- Types of lighting.
- Wellbeing and creativity in workplace design - case studies.
Featured articles and news
The London Build Expo is hosting a Diversity in Construction panel and networking session on October 24.
Analysis can help develop a specification, but must not lead to inappropriate specifications being accepted.
Dos and don'ts for creating a smart home.
New ICE publication recommends pay-as-you-go tax to fund roads and other financing options.
BSRIA launches a White Paper on wearable technology and wellbeing in buildings.
Have the pressures of the market shredded the core values of professionalism?
Lead times are a measure of the amount of time that elapses between initiating and completing a construction process.
Government releases first tranche of funding for removal of unsafe high-rise cladding.
How to ensure UK transport infrastructure copes with severe winter weather.