- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 07 Feb 2019
Health and wellbeing impacts of natural and artificial lighting
In the report, researchers from BRE and from universities in Istanbul and Eindhoven reviewed recent studies into the type, quality and patterns of lighting in buildings and their impact on issues other than safety and providing enough illumination to see. It includes assessment of:
- The effects of lighting on health and mood.
- The importance of the variation of light levels from day to night to maintain the circadian cycle in the body, which can determine patterns of alertness, co-ordination, blood pressure and cardiovascular efficiency.
- The use of bright artificial light to give similar benefits to the natural lighting cycle.
- The flickering of fluorescent lighting with magnetic ballasts and some light-emitting diodes (LEDs), which can cause headaches, eyestrain or epileptic seizures and can exacerbate the symptoms of autism and agoraphobia.
- High frequency fluorescent lighting and different types of LEDs, which can avoid these problems.
- Whether special lighting can help people with dementia.
The contents of the report are:
- Executive summary.
- Safe, healthy lighting for tasks.
- Circadian and seasonal rhythms.
- Optical hazards.
- Light exposure to skin.
- Indirect impacts.
- Special types of lighting.
- Further reading.
The BRE Trust was set up in 2002 to advance knowledge, innovation and communication for public benefit. It is the largest UK charity dedicated to research and education in the built environment, commissioning research and publishing project findings to provide authoritative guidance to the construction industry. All profits made by the BRE Group are gift aided to the Trust to fund research and education programmes.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- 7 ways better lighting can improve your health.
- Adequate lighting.
- Building Research Establishment.
- BRE Trust.
- BRE articles.
- Choosing the correct glazed facade heating system.
- CIBSE Case Study Hepworth Gallery Lighting.
- Commercial lighting.
- Daylight lighting systems.
- Daylight benefits in healthcare buildings.
- Human-centric lighting.
- Light shelf.
- Lighting and health FB 74.
- Lighting and offices.
- Lighting control.
- Lighting designer.
- Natural light.
- The daylight factor.
- The essential guide to retail lighting.
- Types of lighting.
Featured articles and news
The world heritage list has evolved to embrace built, cultural and natural heritage.
The Ocean Cleanup project
The various types of bond and when they are used.
It's vital the industry responds to proposals for reform of the safety regulatory system.
RSHP's Merano wins RIBA accolade.
How to differentiate between partial possession and early use.
Ofwat proposes £12 billion additional investment and £50 bill reductions.
Avoiding 'winner's curse' and other useful info.
Developing test methods for video flame/smoke detectors
Waiting for a new deal ...but will funding materialise?