BREEAM Retail prize 2016
The mixed-use property development measuring 40,812 sq.m, encompasses a 25-storey business tower offering 30,000 sq.m of office space, a 40,000 sq.m open-air shopping area with 157 boutiques, restaurants, cafes, bars, a cinema, health and fitness centre, gourmet market and an outdoor performance area. The centre attracts 35,000 visitors daily. A residential block includes 179 apartments.
Kanyon was the first project to achieve an ‘Excellent’ rating on its BREEAM In-Use certificate in Turkey in 2012, reflecting its long-term commitment to sustainability and innovative performance. In June 2015, Kanyon achieved Turkey’s first ‘Outstanding’ rating on its BREEAM In-Use for International building management, a reflection of its best practice policies.
Kanyon is a joint venture between Eczacba Pharmaceutical and Industrial Investment and Real Estate Investment Trust. Several international companies were involved in the $200 million project, including Jerde Partnership, Tabanlolu Architects, Arup Engineering and Tepe Construction.
- An intelligent building management system (BMS) monitors, controls and optimises energy and water consumption. Space heating, cooling, fans, humidification, lighting and small power systems are constantly monitored.
- 35% of the building’s hot water demand is provided by solar panels. A co-generation system serves 10% of the heating demand and by installing a heat recovery system in fresh air units, a 4% reduction in energy consumption has been achieved.
- The open-air structure provides maximum use of daylighting, and allows visitors to enjoy fresh air and landscaping.
- Rainwater and greywater are collected for use in public toilets and landscape irrigation.
- Internal and external lighting meet best practice levels with most fixtures changed to LEDs.
- CO2 detectors monitor indoor environmental quality.
- Kanyon operates its own waste management system with collection points for glass, paper and other recyclable materials, waste food from restaurants and cafes, and electronic waste.
Tuncer Kinikili, Operation Director of Kanyon Facilities Management and Marketing, said: “Kanyon aimed to be a pioneer in both the reduction of energy usage, water consumption and waste management, via an innovative and comprehensive management strategy to minimise its carbon footprint. As a result of our investment the centre is achieving an 11% annual saving in energy costs. And as a consequence of our BREEAM success we’re seeing employees and tenants participating more and more in sustainable activities.”
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Articles by BRE Buzz on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BREEAM and CEEQUAL.
- BREEAM and retail.
- BREEAM In-Use International.
- BREEAM puts the emphasis on green retail.
- BREEAM value increases while costs reduce.
- Do green buildings pay?
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design.
- SMARTWaste Case Study Interview: Canary Wharf Contractors Limited.
Issue support documents
|These are Multiple Author Articles - click on them and add to them today. It's easy.|
You can also add to General Multiple Author Articles here
Issue support documents are written for named BREEAM Issues or sub-issues. More info. (ac) = awaiting content
|Thanks to our Knowledge Sharing Ambassadors for a lot of this content|
- BREEAM Sustainability champion
- BREEAM Environmental management
- BREEAM Considerate construction
- BREEAM Monitoring of construction site impacts
- BREEAM Aftercare support
- BREEAM Seasonal commissioning
- BREEAM Testing and inspecting building fabric
- BREEAM Life cycle cost and service life planning
- BREEAM Stakeholder consultation (ac)
- BREEAM Commissioning (ac)
- BREEAM Handover (ac)
- BREEAM Inclusive and accessible design (ac)
- BREEAM Post occupancy evaluation
 Health and Wellbeing
- BREEAM Visual comfort Daylighting (partly ac)
- BREEAM Visual comfort View out
- BREEAM Visual comfort Glare control
- BREEAM Indoor air quality plan
- BREEAM Indoor air quality Ventilation
- BREEAM Thermal comfort
- BREEAM Internal and external lighting (ac)
- BREEAM Indoor pollutants VOCs (ac)
- BREEAM Potential for natural ventilation (ac)
- BREEAM Safe containment in laboratories (ac)
- BREEAM Acoustic performance
- BREEAM Safety and security (ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of energy use and carbon emissions
- BREEAM Energy monitoring
- BREEAM External lighting
- BREEAM Low carbon design
- BREEAM Passive design
- BREEAM Free cooling
- BREEAM LZC technologies
- BREEAM Energy efficient cold storage (partly ac)
- BREEAM Energy efficient transportation systems
- BREEAM Energy efficient laboratory systems
- BREEAM Energy efficient equipment (partly ac)
- BREEAM Drying space
- BREEAM Transport assessment and travel plan
- BREEAM Public transport accessibility
- BREEAM Sustainable transport measures
- BREEAM Proximity to amenities
- BREEAM Cyclist facilities
- BREEAM Alternative modes of transport (ac)
- BREEAM Maximum car parking capacity
- BREEAM Travel plan
- BREEAM Home office (ac)
- BREEAM Water consumption
- BREEAM Water efficient equipment
- BREEAM Water monitoring
- BREEAM Water leak detection (ac)
- BREEAM Hard landscaping and boundary protection
- BREEAM Responsible sourcing of materials
- BREEAM Insulation
- BREEAM Designing for durability and resilience
- BREEAM Life cycle impacts
- BREEAM Material efficiency (ac)
- BREEAM Construction waste management
- BREEAM Recycled aggregates
- BREEAM Speculative floor & ceiling finishes
- BREEAM Adaptation to climate change
- BREEAM Operational waste
- BREEAM Functional adaptability (ac)
 Land Use and Ecology
- BREEAM Site Selection
- BREEAM Ecological value of site
- BREEAM Protection of ecological features
- BREEAM Minimising impact on existing site ecology
- BREEAM Enhancing site ecology
- BREEAM Long term impact on biodiversity (ac)
- BREEAM Impact of refrigerants
- BREEAM NOx emissions
- BREEAM Flood risk management (ac)
- BREEAM Surface water run-off (ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of night time light pollution (partly ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of noise pollution
Once an ISD has been initially created the '(ac)' marker can be removed
This particular index is based around the structure of the New Construction and RFO schemes.