- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 12 Dec 2017
University of the West of England - Department of Architecture and the Built Environment
University of the West of England
Frenchay Campus Coldharbour Lane Bristol BS16 1QY United Kingdom
UWE Bristol is a thriving, modern university, offering a wide range of highly respected courses and employment-enhancing opportunities - in one of the UK’s most vibrant cities.
The Department of Architecture and the Built Environment is a broad-based intellectual community committed to an inter-disciplinary approach to the creation and management of sustainable buildings, whether they are in urban or rural environments, residential or commercial, new or refurbished.
Sustainability and the environment are common themes across all their courses, and research in these subjects underpins all teaching. The Department is concerned with these aspects and ensure that courses offer the necessary knowledge and skills needed to succeed.
They have invested heavily in their facilities, and offer students the chance to work in award-winning purpose-built studios. Regular field trips are organised as well as site visits to a variety UK and International destinations, helping students gain invaluable experience and understanding of architecture and the built environment in the real world.
UWE is an accredited partner of the major professional bodies including RIBA, ARB, RiCS, RTPI, CIOB, CIAT, CIH and CIBSE. They have established partnerships with global players in the design, construction and property sectors, ensuring courses are current and relevant to industry needs and leading to industrial placements, advice and professional practice.
 Undergraduate courses
- Architectural Technology and Design - BSc(Hons)
- Architectural Technology and Design (with Foundation Year) - BSc(Hons)
- Architecture - BSc(Hons)
- Architecture (with Foundation Year) - BSc(Hons)
- Architecture and Environmental Engineering - BEng(Hons)
- Architecture and Environmental Engineering (with Foundation Year) - BEng(Hons)
- Architecture and Planning - BA(Hons)
- Architecture and Planning (with Foundation Year) - BA(Hons)
- Building Services Engineering - BEng(Hons)
- Building Surveying - BSc(Hons)
- Building Surveying (with Foundation Year) - BSc(Hons)
- Construction Project Management - BSc(Hons)
- Product Design - BA(Hons)
- Product Design (with Foundation Year) - BA(Hons)
- Product Design Technology - BSc(Hons)
- Product Design Technology (with Foundation Year) - BSc(Hons)
- Property Development and Planning - BA(Hons)/MPlan
- Property Development and Planning/Property Development (with Foundation Year) - BA (Hons)/Master of Planning
- Quantity Surveying and Commercial Management - BSc(Hons)
- Quantity Surveying and Commercial Management (with Foundation Year) - BSc(Hons)
- Real Estate - BSc(Hons)
- Real Estate (with Foundation Year) - BSc(Hons)
 Postgraduate courses
- Architecture - MArch
- Building Information Modelling (BIM) in Design Construction and Operations - MSc
- Building Services Engineering - MSc
- Building Surveying - MSc/Graduate Diploma
- Construction Project Management - MSc
- International Construction Law - Postgraduate Diploma
- Professional Practice and Management in Architecture - Postgraduate Certificate
- Quantity Surveying - Graduate Diploma/MSc
- Real Estate Finance and Investment - MSc
- Real Estate Finance and Investment (Distance Learning) - MSc
- Real Estate Management - MSc
- Real Estate Management (Distance Learning) - MSc
Featured articles and news
The complex situation where events occur at the same time but the contractor is unable to claim loss and expense.
How can Latin America and the Caribbean unlock the digital potential of their new and existing built environment?
CIOB publish a new code of estimating practice.
These relate to a programme where each activity is allocated a price and interim payments made against completion.
Police testing finds that flat door could only withstand fire for half its designed time.
Have a look at these images from a new photography book of buildings being reclaimed by nature.
What does the phrase 'demised premises' mean? Find out here in our introductory article.
New good practice guidance looks at the best way to deliver multi-functional solar car parks.
Philip Hammond suggests the public finances have reached a turning point.
The fifth annual ICE-Topcon lecture looked at how to balance smart technology and security.
Support grows for the Construction (Retention Deposit Schemes) Bill.