- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 16 Jan 2019
Swimming pool renovation
The list below outlines some potential swimming pool renovation ideas:
Energy efficient mechanicals
- Pump – an energy efficient pump can lower energy consumption. It can use 30% to 40% less energy than standard models, while its relatively smaller size may not require to be operated as often.
- Heater – today's technology offers more heater choices than ever before, from gas and electric to solar and thermal (which uses heat in the air to warm the water). The choice of heater will ultimately depend on the size of the pool and individual requirements.
- Other potential energy efficient upgrades include lighting, filters and solar pool covers.
Pool structure and accessories
- Resurfacing – this will improve the look of the shell and can save the need to resurface later (as the shell begins to show signs of wear). There are various materials available in a variety of colours.
- Shape and depth – changing one or even both of these elements can add a dramatic effect to the configuration.
- Accessories – a whole range of accessories can be added to improve a pool, including in-shell lighting, permanent benches, a slide for children, diving board (if the water is deep enough), and graduated steps (so that users can enter gradually).
Automation and remote control
- Many mechanical elements can be combined with timers (such as heaters, pumps and robotic cleaners). Some can be controlled remotely, using smartphones, tablets and wireless remotes. Automation can also facilitate energy savings.
- Anti-entrapment drain covers will keep hair, limbs and other body parts from being pulled towards or sucked into the drain. They provide a rapid vacuum release if the drain becomes blocked.
- Spas can be added to existing pools. When positioned adjacent to the shell overlooking the water, they can be soothing and attractive. Alternatively, they can be sited further away to suit individual needs..
- A pool cover will keep out debris, pollutants and animals. Automated covers can be convenient in use, avoiding manual operation.
- When pool surrounds need replacing, natural stone, timber or even brick can provide attractive replacement solutions. Replacing the surround also offers the opportunity to replace the coping.
A swimming pool renovation will depend on creativity, budget and available space and may increase the value of a property. But it is important to partner with a renovation professional when undertaking any such works.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Basement excavation
- Cabin Straumsnes, Norway
- CIBSE Case Study London Olympic Aquatics Centre
- Clapham One
- Compensated foundation
- Composite decking vs timber decking
- External works
- Landscape design
- Patio stone
- Reservoir construction
- Solar thermal systems
- Splash fountain
- Swimming pool construction
Featured articles and news
A history lesson in geographic information systems.
A low tech, easy to use method of extinguishing small fires.
How can these valued spaces be reused?
Partnership avoids the need for listed building consent.
Connecting building design from inception to completion to operations.
Gregor Harvie predicts interoperability will be construction’s Uber moment.
Expert commentary and insight.
Guidance offered for stained glass window maintenance.
Define need before determining viability.
Framework examines social value of projects.
RfX or Request for [fill in the blank].
Organisation establishes Equality, Diversity, Inclusion taskforce.
Government announces plans for new building projects.
Outsourcing method to procure and manage supplies.