- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 20 Apr 2017
Composite decking vs timber decking
Renovating a garden with the intention of adding value to a property can be a lengthy and daunting process. What is a reasonable budget? How long will the renovation take? What materials should be used? Premium materials such as composite decking and cladding can often be substituted with cheaper materials such as cedar and larch but when weighing up cost vs durability vs aesthetic, is it worth spending a little extra for added peace of mind?
However, when EcoscapeUK asked 100 people in garden centres and building merchants what was most important, 81% said they would be prepared to spend more if it guaranteed a durable and sound investment.
So, what is best to use and why?
- Low maintenance: It can be cleaned using soap and water and can have any metal fixings used with no risk of chemical reactions or staining.
- Durability / longevity: It can last up to 5 times longer than timber decking.
- It is resistant to weather, insect and fungal decay damage.
- It is hard wearing.
- It is available in any colour.
- Cheaper than composite decking, it is a good option for those with a small budget, landlords with rental properties or possibly first time home buyers.
- It requires regular maintenance: Specialist cleaning materials are required.
- Stainless steel is the only metal that can be used as fixings. any other metal will cause reactions within the wood. This is usually stain damage.
- It requires preservation / safe guarding treatment against the weather, insect damage and decay
- It can be stained to any colour.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- 11 things you didn't know about wood.
- Cross-laminated timber.
- Engineered bamboo.
- Laminated veneer lumber LVL.
- Physical Properties of Wood.
- Recognising wood rot and insect damage in buildings.
- The Benefits of Composite Decking.
- Timber preservation.
Featured articles and news
Brick slip soffit systems and intricate brick features.
ICE event includes comments from Welsh Government Minister Julie James.
How to write them and what they should include.
Designing Buildings Wiki becomes the world's first website to adopt the new knowledge standard.
Assessing the most beneficial design elements.
Exploring different types of vinyl flooring.
New Government task force will build beauty into reformed planning process.
Five outstanding aspects of the profession.
The seismic strengthening of historic churches.
Results show guarded optimism and payment concerns.
Noteworthy navigable aqueducts.
Technology is making remote work a reality.