- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 15 Feb 2021
Decking is a term that can be applied to numerous applications in construction.
One of its more common forms is the platform areas (sometimes raised) in domestic gardens that are used for special functions such as relaxation, for sun loungers or barbecues. These will usually comprise a timber substructure with decking boards laid on top. The decking boards can either be timber (usually pressure-treated) or be made of composite or synthetic materials.
Timber decking boards usually require a degree of maintenance involving painting, preserving or sealing to provide protection and durability. Composites and synthetics typically require no preservative treatment. Some of the composite decking available is made from recycled wood and plastic and although lacking the natural wood appearance, can be cheaper and easier to maintain.
 Other applications
The term decking (or deck) can also apply to:
- The boarding used to support the finishing layer on floors and flat roofs.
- The horizontal (supporting) formwork that is used when casting insitu concrete slabs.
- The prefabricated concrete planks used to form ground, upper floors and flat roofs.
- The boarding (usually plywood) that is nailed to timber rafters to crate the support for the roof finish, be that tiles, slates or metal sheet (e.g zinc, copper, lead).
- The finished surface of boardwalks.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Aluminium decking.
- Ash or oak wood flooring.
- Floor definition.
- Floor insulation.
- Flooring defects.
- Glass block flooring.
- How to fit carpet.
- Insulation for ground floors.
- Predicting service life of timber structures.
- Raised floor.
- Resin flooring.
- The Differences Between Engineered Flooring and Solid Hardwood Flooring.
- Types of floor.
Featured articles and news
Prioritising tax considerations.
The four D creative process: discover, define, develop and deliver.
National Cyber Security Centre initiative is announced.
Reviewing trends and projections.
Legislation will establish initiatives to move towards net zero.
How to document contractor employment status.
Tech tools to help manage people and space post-pandemic.
A style that ranges from mock Tudor to arts and crafts to the 'Wrenaissance'.
Free guide from Secured by Design.
BREEAM strategy for sustainability and the circular economy.
Free tool to improve the construction programming process.
Are buildings doing what they're supposed to be doing?
Cities with quick access to everything by foot or bike.
The pressures and pinch points of global destinations.