- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 15 Feb 2021
Decking is a term that can be applied to numerous applications in construction.
One of its more common forms is the platform areas (sometimes raised) in domestic gardens that are used for special functions such as relaxation, for sun loungers or barbecues. These will usually comprise a timber substructure with decking boards laid on top. The decking boards can either be timber (usually pressure-treated) or be made of composite or synthetic materials.
Timber decking boards usually require a degree of maintenance involving painting, preserving or sealing to provide protection and durability. Composites and synthetics typically require no preservative treatment. Some of the composite decking available is made from recycled wood and plastic and although lacking the natural wood appearance, can be cheaper and easier to maintain.
 Other applications
The term decking (or deck) can also apply to:
- The boarding used to support the finishing layer on floors and flat roofs.
- The horizontal (supporting) formwork that is used when casting insitu concrete slabs.
- The prefabricated concrete planks used to form ground, upper floors and flat roofs.
- The boarding (usually plywood) that is nailed to timber rafters to crate the support for the roof finish, be that tiles, slates or metal sheet (e.g zinc, copper, lead).
- The finished surface of boardwalks.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Aluminium decking.
- Ash or oak wood flooring.
- Floor definition.
- Floor insulation.
- Flooring defects.
- Glass block flooring.
- How to fit carpet.
- Insulation for ground floors.
- Predicting service life of timber structures.
- Raised floor.
- Resin flooring.
- The Differences Between Engineered Flooring and Solid Hardwood Flooring.
- Types of floor.
Featured articles and news
Training reflects updated guidance in BSRIA BG 29/2021.
Complete list of 2021 winners now available.
Recognising past and present role models for the future.
So why not write something?
LETI publishes guidance for energy efficient home retrofits.
Predictions about adequate post-pandemic IAQ in non-domestic buildings.
Government publishes plans to 'build back greener'.
The contentious nature of claims associated with cladding, fire safety and EWS1 forms.
ECA comments on low-carbon heating systems initiative and Heat and Buildings Strategy.