- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 31 Aug 2020
Pre-qualification questionnaire PQQ for construction contracts
A pre-qualification questionnaire (PQQ, sometimes referred to as a supplier assessment questionnaire) sets out a series of questions for potential tenderers to answer regarding their level of experience, capacity and financial standing. The answers to these questions enable the client to produce a short list of suppliers that are likely to be most appropriate for their project. Short-listed suppliers may then be invited to tender for the contract.
Using a pre-qualification questionnaire has the effect of reducing the number of potential tenders to those that are genuinely appropriate for the project, saving a great deal of wasted time for potential tenderers who would not have any realistic chance of winning the contract. It also saves time for the client processing and assessing inappropriate tenders.
Pre-qualification questionnaires should be focused and simple to complete, (perhaps with limits to the number of words that can be submitted in response to each question) otherwise they may just replicate the tender process itself. They should also make it very clear what the tender process is for, so potential tenderers can properly assess whether they have the appropriate experience, capacity and financial standing.
- Company details (including legal status).
- Details of insurance cover.
- Financial information (such as recent accounts).
- Relevant experience.
- Information about technical and professional ability.
- Information about capability and capacity.
- Health and safety policy.
- Quality assurance policy.
- Environmental management policy.
- Equal opportunities policy.
- Relevant references.
- A BIM assessment to determine BIM capability, gaps in skills and training needs.
Systems such as Construction Line go some way to standardising and simplifying the tender process by allowing tenderers to provide pre-qualification information just once that can then be presented to multiple potential clients.
NB In December 2013, Enterprise Minister Matthew Hancock set out a range of measures intended to make it easier for small businesses to grow in Small Business: GREAT Ambition. Measures were announced to tackle late payment and to remove the barriers to public contracts by abolishing pre-qualification questionnaires (PQQs) for low-value contracts and mandating the use of core PQQs for high-value contracts.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Appointing consultants.
- Bid writer.
- Common assessment standard.
- Construction contract.
- Expression of interest.
- Invitation to tender.
- Mid tender interview.
- PAS 91.
- Pre qualification questionnaires and PAS 91.
- Pre tender interview.
- Procurement route.
- Selection criteria.
- Small and medium-sized enterprises.
- Supplier assessment questionnaire.
- Tender documentation.
- Tender evaluation.
- Tender processes.
- The benefits of e-procurement in construction.
 External references
- OGC Pre-Qualification Questionnaire for selecting suppliers.
- OGC PQQ.
- Construction Line.
- OGC Supplier Selection and Pre-Qualification: Guidance, tools and tips.
- OGC Pre-Qualification Questionnaire.
- Pre-qualification - PAS 91: the use of this standardised wording for PQQ's has been mandated within Government.
- PACE Guidance on the Appointment of Constractors and Consultants P480 Pre Selection Procedures.
- Construction Line.
- PAS 91
Featured articles and news
Results show guarded optimism and payment concerns.
Noteworthy navigable aqueducts.
Technology is making remote work a reality.
Carefully placed structures add drama to pastoral vistas.
Report provides actions required by 2030 to achieve a zero carbon economy.
What type of cool roof is most suitable?
Active Travel programme prioritises cyclists and pedestrians.
CIAT issues caution for use of new standard.
Industry leaders discuss climate change, the economy and other influences.
The building manager is key to operations.
The impact Scotland’s dynamic coast has on the historic environment.
IHBC announces role in new APPG.